Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

~ NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED ~

As far as i can tell from many friends in different boroughs, this is a problem not exclusive to my local park and seems to blight pretty much every London park.  However, many of you who do not own dogs may not be aware of this problem. 

There is an extremely serious and profuse problem in Downhills Park with human faeces.

On a daily basis there are new faeces in the park, not only in wooded, shrubby areas but also in completely open areas such as on open grass, bases of trees or on the field etc.!

Apart from the obvious disgust and stench it causes, It is also a massive health hazard to children, park visitors, dog owners as well as dogs who have been made violently ill and have even died from consuming human faeces produced from drug-abusers (the human waste contains EDIT: drugs).  Have you ever had to clear up dog-vomit that was made up of 100% human poo? COME ON HARINGEY, HELP US?!?!?

Any responsible dog owner (who by the way, all make sure they clean up after their dog's own mess - dog mess is pretty much eradicated in Downhills) can confirm to you that the problem of human excrement is a massive one because dogs tend to sniff out and eat the human faeces. Sadly, our cute 4-legged friends have a very dark and unpleasant side.

Dogs DO NOT eat other dog/animal faeces (EDIT: apparently some dogs do eat other animal poo eg: fox or cat poo) which is how this poo is identifiable. There are often wet-wipes, newspaper or toilet roll papers accompanying the mess which also indicate that it's human in nature. It is not just drug-addicts and homeless doing this, many dog walkers i know have witnessed people actually defecating and walking away, as well as parents letting children defecate in open areas and walking away. I myself have seen men enter the park, enter the bushes and 10 mins later come out the bushes pulling their trousers up (apparently dressed for work!).

Myself and my dog-walking friends try to text eachother when we come across human faeces to try to warn and avoid their dogs also getting into the mess.  Most days, us dog-owners are having to bring our dogs with human excrement around their faces into our houses to bathe them and clean/disinfect ourselves and our houses. Do you have any idea how much of a nightmare this is?

I have used this park for 2.5 years and in the last 1 year the problem has become extreme. Because now the human poo is right there in the middle of the grass for any child to come across.

I know many people who are very concerned about this and feel threatened by the drug addicts and drug dealers who are frequenting the park as well as homeless people but feel they are powerless to do anything about it. A petition was apparently ignored by Haringey council, surprise surprise. I know that public toilets can be breeding grounds for drug abuse but surely it would help eradicate this foul problem?  On another note, they are planning on using part of the park land to build tall flats, so surely the extra people around will only add fuel to the fire?

I have today written a complaint on the Council's reporting page.

If you have the same concerns please also report it!

https://eforms.secure.haringey.gov.uk/ufs/ufsmain?formid=REPORTING_...

Tags for Forum Posts: downhills park, drug, excrement, faeces, homelessness, local, owners, park, poo, poop, More…shit

Views: 5243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely a positive approach would be to get Haringey Council to replace all the public toilets they have closed and sold off over the last 20-odd years ?

Exactly.

But I have to say, they were the victims of cuts, made due to pressure from ratepayers and later council tax payers to keep costs low.   A civilised society doesn't come free of charge.

BTW, Those who've never been cut short while out, please stand up !

It's often quite easy for men: https://flic.kr/p/tL8EL8

Ours are run by the company that is also responsible for keeping bus shelters clean. https://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/albums/72157609075897552

Yes, aren't they converting a listed public toilet in Tottenham into a cafe or restaurant?  Sure way to produce more shit.

We narrowly avoiding stepping in some at Downhills on Monday. A pile of crap, complete with paper, on the grass just behind the swings in the children's play area. The bushes in the park were still being used as toilets, even when the park cafe was open & the toilet available there. It's not just a problem at Downhills either, I've seen it at Finsbury Park & particularly the Parkland Walk. I wonder if the local authority could step in here & help with enforcement. I think the Cleaner Neighbourhood Act might give local authorities the power to issue on the spot fines?
Yes, I believe that stretch along the side of the nursery and behind the children's play park to be a real problem area. All the way down to the west green road entrance gate.
While not wishing to detract from what is a pretty gross problem, I have to state that dogs most certainly DO eat other dogs waste. I witnessed this many times in my childhood, and found it both puzzling and revolting.
I agree this is disgusting.

I just wanted to point out that dogs do indeed eat dog poo though.

How are you sure that this is human poo?

I think it's the presence of bog roll, which even the most fastidious of dogs don't usually use... 

Is this a colon site? Certainly as a local resident I have not once seen this.

I don't know - I haven't seen it either, but I don't often go to Downhills other than to cut through to the Rec as the playground is a bit rubbish (and apparently now full of poo). 

I'm a dog walker so am out frequently. I had no idea this was an issue now.

I've even seen a bloke take a dump in the Harringay Passage (no play on words intended)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service