Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just seen the banner and my opinion is that its pretty damn crap.

Why?

You still see much of the shoddy paintwork on the bridge.

The banner is all wrinkled.

The overall design is so crap. 

I could go on but I'll give everyone else chance instead.

Oh well. 

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg, harringay banner, harringay bridge

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You realise you've just pointed out to the Council all that potential advertising space? :-)

I dot get it? is's classy, creative, is welcomimg without saying welcome, is not patronising, is well designed and has no advertising and is shiny so easy to clean. Thats a supid banner what a waste of public money. whoever commissioned that should be saked

Heres another one crap one.

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/blogpics/blog_stripes.jpg

God Im glad we have the harringay traders assoc around and their vulauble input into designing our banners.

As you can tell by the signage above their shops they are creative genuises.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/13/98/139871_957f119b.jpg

Attachments:
Hey Tunbridge, let's not get at the Traders. They're not at fault here. They're not a bad bunch. I agree with Germana's earlier comments on this; making this into an us vs. them issue helps nothing, Let's keep things in perspective here.

Fair point Hugh. Apologies traders. Although my comment was aimed at the Twitter post you entered.

I  dont feel they should have ownership of the bridge to use for advertising. The traders all rely on their customers, many of whom are locals who refuse to shop in the supermarkets in order to keep them in business.  Of these customers many are disgusted by what some of the traders have done to the bridge. If more local business decide to advertise on the bridge what will come next. banners in street lights?

Why don't the business who wish to advertise on the bridege do so by funding something ...well nice.... perhaps adopt the bridge and chip in for painting it every every few years. A plaque coud be placed underneath naming those involved.

Well, yes, I thought twice about reposting that Twitter post, realising that it might be inflammatory to some. I decided to do so because they posted it, it exists and I thought it appropriate to make that known and allow people to make of it what they will.

I think what all these comments show is how bloody angry many of us are at what has happened. I and also how shocked we are at the blinkered responses of many of the councillors who have botherd to  reply to our comments.

I should probably also add some more context here of which you and others may not be aware. Shefik Mehmet and Rob Lau of the Traders Association put in an awful lot of voluntary time to the community to improve the area. The festival is largely down to them and people like Andy Newman of the GRA - huge amounts of work they put in. They've also contributed significantly to other improvements on Green Lanes. They're good guys. Let's not get at them please.

I'm told that due to the strength of feeling on this website, all the people responsible for the Bridge banner were rounded up in a pre-dawn raid early this morning. Their whereabouts are currently unknown.

But it's expected they will receive a fair trial before execution. After which their heads will be displayed on spikes on both parapets of the bridge.

Unless of course, the Committee of Public Safety & Bridges in its long deliberations decides otherwise.

Aux armes, citoyennes!

Mmm, yes, well, good to have a balancing comment, Alan. I do appreciate that many of those involved in the banner are giving freely of their time and I appreciate the often thankless work they do. But I wonder why we're seeing such strength of feeling from some local people? Is there perhaps good reason? Far be it from me to say so, but some may read your comment as somewhat dismissive of the very real issue/s that may underpin this sentiment.

You are seeing strength of feeling because the banner is really crap, an eyesore, a tacky affront to the eye. Without it the unadorned bridge could be an attractive piece of industrial architecture.

Several people have said they want to protect the Heartlands gasholder. How long will it be before someone realises it would make an excellent advertising hoarding ?

I would like a big banner up there saying RESPECT THE COMMUNITY AND KEEP GREEN LANES TIDY - TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME! You can put it in several languages

I doubt those adverts for the shops actually bring in any additional customers. 

Relax, people. The solution is in sight.

Council rents out the Bridge Northside to the Estate Agents and the Bridge Southside to the Betting Shops. Each side becomes an ever-changing gallery of high artistic endeavour resulting from the individual traders' enthusiastic competition.

All revenues are directed to the Ladder schools and the enhancement & upkeep of gates and bollards in the Gardens Gated Community.

This will save parents & friends of the schools and guardians of the Gardens Community from annual and ongoing desecration of their own streets.  Let the Bridge be the locus and focus of our garish advertising.

Hoping I haven't offended anyone in my effort to be helpful.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service