Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just seen the banner and my opinion is that its pretty damn crap.

Why?

You still see much of the shoddy paintwork on the bridge.

The banner is all wrinkled.

The overall design is so crap. 

I could go on but I'll give everyone else chance instead.

Oh well. 

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg, harringay banner, harringay bridge

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hesitate to keep this conversation going now that it has a bit of an edge, but, following a press release that's just dropped into my inbox, I couldn't resist adding a link to the DIY Streets Turnpike Lane website.

It's about a Council sponsored project in the area up behind Turnpike Lane tube. We can only dream about the benefits the broader project offers, but for the purposes of this post I thought it was interesting to look at the street design suggestions that are being made by residents. Strangely no advertising is being suggested by residents. Clearly it's an expensive project. Will the Council be implementing advertising to defray the costs.

It's like a parallel world.

Website at http://diyturnpikelane.wordpress.com/

Tweet + pictures from the traders' Twitter stream. Dear old Harringay Bridge wasn't pretty then was it. It certainly needed sorting. I'm assuming our bridge was eligible for whatever funds keep every other bridge in Haringey going without banners? Failing that I'd have voted for a couple of years worth of Making a Difference funds to sort it out.

Many thanks for the pictures guys. I'm assuming that credit for them goes to Andy Lau. (Thanks Andy).

Funny that the traders should think the world or even Green Lanes began in 2004. Have "Harringay4Shops" (sic) any pics of the bridge between 1868 and 1968 - presumably the revolutionary year when Yobs&Tags were invented ?
90K per year. How? The bridge belongs to Network rail? Does this mean I can charge Haringey a fee when I paint my house?.
Funny you never see graffiti on either north or south sides of Hornsey Lane's Archway. Two fine brick backcloths for final messages. Of course if LBH & LBI took to painting WELCOME and FAREWELL signs on Suicide Bridge, it too would soon be defaced by artists with immortal longings.
I agree. I asumed that the bridge was the responsibility of Network Rail. Perhaps Haringey Council pays them for the privilege of hanging its banner?
I think the graffiti is far prettier than the vile banner

Dear elected councillors of Harringay.

I thought the adverts on the bridge were supposed to be for local small companies, Hence the reason McDonalds were not invited.

If that's tha case why are Hawes and Curtis allowed to advertise?

A company that has shops in Bluewater, Glasgow Birmingham, Milton Keynes, , Surrey, Croydon Gloucester, Croydon. Leeds, Manchester, 14 stores in London,a oh and Istanbul. Hardly make the company a local business does it. 

http://www.hawesandcurtis.com/hc_shops_to_find_shirts.asp?SearchSho...

How long until McDonalds, Homebase, Next, Superdrug, Peacocks, Argos, Dreams, Subway, Iceland, Carphone Warehouse, Sports Direct, Sainsbury and Tesco get to advertise?

And Nottingham

29 branches in total.  and this does take into account  the independent outlets who stock their products.

I wonder what the traders association think of this?   

There is a clear ambiguity here about what the bridge banner (if there is to be one) is all about. Harringay as a community or Harringay as a shopping centre? Who is the banner for- those of us who live here or those who might be passing through and need reminding where they are? Or is it really just an anti graffiti devise? 

I'd rather go for the community- ask some groups of school kids to get busy with paints and they'd do a grand job to cover the whole lot and there would be still place for Harringay- Our Community not Harringay is a mish mash dog's dinner courtesy of rushed councillors and the voice of local and not so local traders...  Clearly no SWOT analysis done here and mixed thinking all round. 

I profoundly disagree on two points: I think its a canine breakfast (rather than a dinner) and I think it evinces muddled thinking rather than mixed. Setting aside these two severe objections, I agree with the balance of the argument.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service