Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As I was posting events in local libraries today, I came across a book launch by Crouch End resident, Susan Halter, who swam for Hungary in the 1948 Olympic Games in London.

Curiosity piqued, I googled her and came across a fascinating story of escape from the Nazis, swimming in the austerity Olympics in 1948 for Hungary, before becoming a British citizen in 1950 and settling in Crouch End. 

She continues to swim and compete, swimming at Park Road Pools and Swiss Cottage.

Her autobiography is out and she will be talking about her life at Hornsey Library on May 17th at 3pm

Read more about Susan Halter in The Telegraph

She is also one of the Jewish Chronicle Legends

Harringay, of course, has a strong connection with the 1948 Games with the basketball and wrestling events being held at Harringay Arena.

Here's a link to our content on the 1948 Olympics

Tags for Forum Posts: 1948 Olympic Games, Olympics, crouch end

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting this Liz. Hope to get to Susie's talk. You might also be interested to read 'Roman's Journey' - her late husband Roman Halter's story. Roman used to swim in Park Road Pool too until his death a couple of years ago. He was a real, charming gentleman and a talented stained glass artist, who had suffered terribly at the hands of the Nazis. An amazing couple.

Jennifer

Roman was a dear friend. There is a fabulous exhibition of Roman's work at the Ben Uri Gallery - http://www.benuri.org.uk/public/?event-details=45. It's on until 8 June, and includes a video about Roman's remarkable life. Susie is also a remarkable woman, not only swimming every day, but also still competing (and winning medals).

I'm really flabbergasted that there was anti-semitism in London after the war.  There was always a large Jewish population in Tottenham, Stamford Hill and Stoke Newington, so hence my bewilderment.  I'm Jewish myself but never came across any of this growing up a little later in the early 1950s.  Thank goodness we've moved on.  

Fascinating stuff Liz. What a shame she wasn't given a role in the opening ceremony in 2012. Hope that she at least got one of the VIP seats.

Susie was very happy watching from her sitting room. She was taken to the Acquatics Centre before it opened.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service