Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The first abandoned Christmas trees of 2017 have hit the streets of Harringay, forlornly propped against bins and planters. This is what you should do with them but every year the dead Christmas tree competition opens about this time to test how long residents hang on to their trees before sneaking out in the dead of night to put them in the Harringay Passage.

One year, Alan Stanton, found one in April but this has since been surpassed by, if I remember rightly, Adam who found one abandoned in December! Not sure anyone will do better but let's see how late the discarded Christmas trees will appear in 2017. Photographic evidence must be provided.

Here's a couple of desolate ones from this week:

Somehow, when I see these sad, yellowing trees by the side of bins, I'm always reminded of the tragic little tale by Hans Christian Anderson 'The Fir Tree'

Tags for Forum Posts: dead christmas tree competition 2017

Views: 827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If they can drag to a bin down the road, they can drag to a collection point. Or leave it in their bloody front garden! I'm assuming the trees above have come from nearby houses here on the Ladder that all have green waste collection. Alan Stanton has long advocated that retailers should give out details of how to dispose of trees correctly, perhaps in conjunction with the council. A nice bauble shaped leaflet perhaps. Or Veolia should leaflet just before Christmas. Putting it on a website isn't sufficient. Not everyone bothers to find out. Sorry, not letting people off with the no car argument. I have no car. It's not an excuse.

You wouldn't want to put a dead leaking tree in the car anyway, surely?

Here's another gaggle of trees (today) to make your blood boil. I always think of you when I see them.

There is an absolutely whopping pile of Christmas trees in Priory Park, near (I guess - they could no longer be seen) the recycling bins towards the south end of the park). Hundreds at least. It looked like most of Crouch End had merrily dumped their trees there. 

They are probably not dumped. One of the places you can recycle trees is in the parks at the staff yards. They will mulch them up. The nearest point for Harringay is in the community garden in the Gardens - here's an old blog of mine about tree collection day http://www.harringayonline.com/profiles/blogs/my-january-heroes-the

I have to admit, I took these with you in mind LIz.

In our system, every street has two christmas tree collections after the 6th January and residents are only required to put their trees, suitably cleaned outside on the side of the street, before 06:00. The trees are incinerated and provide electric power for the city. Dates here: http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berlin/entsorgung-an-diesen-tagen-ho...

Trees not sold at christmas are passed on to our two zoos and are fed to the elephants. https://www.berlin.de/tourismus/nachrichten/4703486-1721038-weihnac...

You have more snow than us!

Here the trees are chipped and mixed with food waste to make compost.  If you get any municipal compost in March, it has a strong pine resin smell to it!

Haha, the photos above are from last Sunday, we've had more snow since then and in actual fact, it's snowing right now. Going to remain below 0°C for the next ten days..

It was snowing heavily here this morning but none of it stuck.

Not sure why folks find this difficult, perhaps they do not know Veolia will take them from your front garden with your green waste collection! Anyway, I have been carrying a hammer in my bike pannier for the last two weeks. If I get stopped I am sure I will be nicked. I have been busy harvesting the wooden blocks off the bottom of the trees for my wood burning stove!

Now, down to business. This was the first one I saw of the season, I have been meaning to post it for a while. 3rd Jan, brazen as you like on Green Lanes...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service