Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As mentioned over on the GL area traffic study thread it would be interesting to gauge the level of support for the four alternative packages of changes that are being proposed for the Ladder.

So take the straw poll - here - its very short so wont take long to answer.

Views: 2331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

8% evaporation for filtering 1 mile of road seems pretty good to me. If you want 50% reduction then let's find more Wightmans - filtering is a blueprint that could be applied to many other areas* for even more traffic reduction. Once all the traffic is forced to use A-roads for as much of their journey as possible - then we'll know exactly how much management by other means (petrol rationing, congestion charging, etc.) is needed.

*of course many other areas are already protected from rat-running. Filtering Wightman is not actually that new or radical an idea.

I can understand this and good points, positive points. But that 'evaporation' implies the traffic has gone elsewhere, not gone. I don't disagree with making changes that will benefit we local residents but across London, across the country, these small scale local solutions do not reduce amount of traffic overall. Not enough carrots or sticks to change habits, and not just talking of cars but our increasing reliance on home deliveries, such as Amazon. The proliferation of vans to bring stuff to our homes. All that adds to the mess. 

"But that 'evaporation' implies the traffic has gone elsewhere, not gone"

Some will go elsewhere - use the intended A-roads for example. But many will definitely disappear - choose alternative modes like public transport or cycling. I had a plumber visit me on foot during the bridgeworks and heard several stories of people who used to drive to work from say Enfield to Islington who decided to use the train instead. All the neighbours I've spoken to drove less and walked or cycled more. I certainly cycled more during the bridgeworks than I have in the last twenty years.

Incidentally I'm not sure the proliferation of home deliveries increases traffic overall - say the average Sainsbury's delivery visits a dozen homes, so that is one big round trip rather than a dozen shorter ones - probably a net reduction? Amazon probably similarly saves many more individual round trips to retail parks etc.

Pleased to hear your stories about people choosing public transport and walking. Not sure about Amazon and other home deliveries... perhaps some reduction but I'm sure I read somewhere that white vans had proliferated to keep up with demand of higher online shopping. Sometimes things bought online can be bought locally without a car but consumerism/shopping trends changed a lot and often people perhaps do not think twice about ordering online what they could get nearby. Plus all those cardboard boxes.... another environmental disaster. Oh well.... I live in hope. I keep doing my bit by walking and using public transport and trying to be conscious of what I buy and where. I'm sure many people on HoL do as well. 

I say bring in the "mitigating measures" without "filtering" Wightman Road.

I'm pleased to see you're no longer claiming the mitigation measures are "mythical"!

I think one of the key mitigations would be adjusting traffic lights once the new road layout is in place - in fact you suggested this yourself. Significantly different volumes of traffic would turn left or right or go straight on at different junctions, so the amount of time for the respective red-light/green-light phases needs significantly adjusting. This was not done during the bridgeworks, and was a key reason for traffic build up - I noticed it particularly at the Turnpike Lane/Wightman, Turnpike Lane/GL  and Hornsey High St/Church Lane junctions and no doubt there were plenty of others.

Why do you keep trawling through my old posts. It really is a bit creepy.

Don't flatter yourself Antoinette, it's enough for me to read your posts just the once and I have much better things to do than "trawl through" the old ones again.

If it puts your mind at rest, I have a reasonable memory and more importantly know how to use google search.

Joe. ...I am ever so politely asking that you refrain from quoting myself back to me Including links to my previous comments.

Antoinette... you must know perfectly well that your posts are in the public domain and anyone can google them?  If you don't like people reading what you say, can I ever so politely suggest that you stop posting?

Or have you got something to hide? Let's see: you're on record as saying that you enjoy playing "house music really, really loud" in your car; that you ride a decent sized motorbike "only in built-up areas of London", but find it "almost impossible to keep to the 20mph speed limit"; and that you "fundamentally disagree that residential roads should only be accessible to residents". (I apologise if I've misquoted or taken any of that out of context, but you asked me not to link back to the original posts).

I think most people would describe that as inconsiderate behaviour by someone with extreme views. I'm certainly struggling to reconcile these posts with your recent claims to have "reduced car journeys to an absolute minimum". Or who portrays themself as a downtrodden bus passenger (who, strangely, persistently spreads disinformation about the feasibility of any mitigation measures which would improve bus journey reliability).

Ruth & John, Haringey isn't going to make the traffic go away on its own. So all that's left is to direct it this way or that way. Alternatively we could seek to have an evenly distributed flow everywhere which favoured pedestrians and residents but permitted vehicle movements.

That's very defeatist Hugh . I would rather see everybody happy, rather than everybody more or less ( unlikely that ) miserable.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service