Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

My dreams, or what I remember of them, are all rooted in my insecurities - finding myself on stage without having learned any lines, juggling finances between credit cards, rushing to an appointment but getting lost in half-remembered city streets.

They don't bother me once I have woken up, but I never seem to have nice dreams where everything goes well and I enjoy life.

I just wondered if everybody is the same or do you have happy dreams filled with music and chocolate where you stroll into the airport terminal with 10 minutes to spare ?

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a few regulars; taking an exam and turning over the paper to discover the questions are completely beyond me! Another is trying to make that flight in time......with various people from the past popping up to delay me! Oh and of course hacking people to death with a machete and poisoning the water supply...but hey..everyone has THOSE dreams.....

I once had a job to photograph the queen and forgot to bring any film, AND I had left my camera bag in the wrong room and I couldn't find the car keys.  I think that one had everything.

Yes, dreaming of the queen (as the Pet Shop Boys once observed) is a big one. It's interesting that even if you're not remotely royalist in waking life, your subconscious brain does still frequently cast a monarch as the ultimate authority figure. I've dreamt about the queen many times - can't say I spend a great deal of conscious time thinking about her.

Like most people, as I understand it, I have a mix of good dreams and bad.

In one way I think of dreams as being like snowflakes - try and hold on to one after initial recall and it will melt away. But, those dreams we do remember, at least for long enough to write them down if we're so minded, are those that leave the strongest impression.

Allow me, if you will to use another analogy for dreams. In another sense dreams are like seeds. Walk though the woods or through a field one summer and you'll come into contact with any number of seeds. Some, like dandelions, you'll brush past and soon they'll be gone, floating off into the air. Others like burdock will stick to you. I tend to remember very nice or very troubling dreams. In terms of recall on waking, those are like the burdock seed heads; they stick to me, but most dreams float off soon after waking.

Perhaps that's what's happening with you, John. Perhaps your nice dreams are soothing and calm rather than exciting so they don't stick. The dreams you do remember may have some particularly troubling resonance for you so that you remember them. My view is that it's always worth checking in with your dreams briefly to see if they are nagging you to deal with of something you've been ignoring.

If you google Lucid Dreaming, you'll no doubt get any number of results for an approach to managing your your dreams. I can't say whether or not it's complete tosh. It was an interest of an ex of mine.

Classic anxiety dreams, as my father would say.

My most common one is my university somehow finding out that I'm not proper 15 years after graduation - usually by means of making me sit an impossible exam that I'm guaranteed to fail.

Remarkable that nobody has mentioned sweet dreams yet.

I know. It's a nightmare.

Trying to get somewhere and constantly being sidetracked is one I have a lot. And being in a place that I know but it's completely different; walking around in somewhere like Wood Green but it has palm trees and a beach and looks nothing like Wood Green but I just know that it is.
I think FPR has hit the nail on this, I think it's a lot of unresolved stuff replaying in your sleep and hopefully being put away somewhere else. Like you John I rarely have fun or relaxing dreams, but I think Hugh is right that they are the ones you don't remember. A trick is to write down a line or two about them the minute you wake up as they vanish so quickly.
Abster, my husband has had a recurring dream since childhood where he is good friends with the Queen and they have long conversations, and he is the most ardent republican I know!

Just had a new one - we were moving but I had to paint a table before leaving but found the tin of white paint had been diluted with spirit until it was like water and couldn't be used.

After reading your post last night I tried to remember my dream this morning and this was it- I was being served a roast dinner which consisted of roasted rat complete with skin and tail and cut into sections, however I was put out by the fact that my companions rat fillet was undercooked and transparent, when I complained they gave me the bill for £80 and I was outraged.

I wish I had ordinary dreams of being late or loosing things but mine are often weird, wonderful and  surreal.

PS if there is a spychoanalyst out there I really don't want to know what it is about!

Have you ever seen the film "Desperate Living" by John Waters? Your dream reminded me of the opening titles of that. Link below to the film poster, zoom in a bit and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.moviepostershop.com/desperate-living-movie-poster-1977

Someones been stealing my dreams!!! That is so similar and I've never seen the film or poster; was it good?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service