Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This (slightly edited) conversation appeared on another thread about growing in front gardens.

I guess the questions are do you share FPR's problem and what can be done about it?

Finsbury Park Ranger: I've got stinking rubbish and quite a lot of flies. Happy to share.

Liz: Have you rung Veolia FPR? I'm sure they will deal with that for you.

Finsbury Park Ranger: They do deal with it every two weeks. Unfortunately in the summer, with a liking for the occasional fresh crab, this just isn't enough.

I'll give them a ring.

Edit: Just rang them, they said general waste can only be picked up every two weeks so just have to wait until the next normal pick up.

I'll have to triple bag the rubbish future I guess.

Alan Stanton: ... your point about hot weather bin collections is apt. The BBC reported that 1 July was the hottest July day ever recorded in England. And there were heatwave alerts.

So it seems sensible if there could be some provision in the waste contract to add a few extra collections when temperatures soar.

Tags for Forum Posts: waste collection

Views: 1028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"NOTHING has been done to address the problems associated with it!"

JJ: I think that's a little unfair. Yes, initially there was some reluctance to consider the downside of the changed arrangements. And some blocking when people made well-founded criticisms and offered suggestions. (I'm thinking in particular of Liz Ixer presenting a balanced critique at a Harringay and St Ann's "Area Forum".)

However, I think that Stuart McNamara - one of your own Bruce Grove ward councillors - has tried hard to solve particular problems.

You might criticise this as tweaking within an overall scheme which you object to. But in my view he makes genuine efforts for it to work better. And sometimes succeeds. At least he goes out-and-about with residents, looking and trying.  He's not a vegetative state councillor.

Sorry no...nothing has been done to address the bins blocking the pavements. Go to Steele rd nos. 2 to 30ish and Napier road nos. 38-54 and all the small front 'gardens' in my neck of the woods. 

Yes a bit has been done to address to High Rd issue and I said this in my initial post but not the residential streets around Napier rd. The problems were built into the system at conception - a huge bin for recycling, another huge bin for non-recyling, a third albeit small bin for food waste, and then bag for green waste...... crude money saving scheme making front gardens look like bin depots. Look around you. It is horrible!

All ill conceived schemes that are badly thought out when there are loads of examples from elsewhere into how to introduce better solutions. They unfortunately cost more money in the short term but in better results in the long run.

JJ: I hope we can agree with a general proposition that doing the wrong thing better and more efficiently doesn't make it right. Maybe we can also agree that far more recycling and far less incineration and landfill are also desirable goals.

In which case, the question becomes: 'how?'.

Please post links to some of the "loads of examples from elsewhere into how to introduce better solutions".  I'd like to visit a few.

And please do arrange to have a proper personal chat with Stuart McNamara.

Stuart McNamara seems inaccessible.

Another plug here for my old favourite - big onstreet bins, (on the roadway, lose 1/2 parking place) no household bins - like most of the rest of the world.  Collect daily/whenever as they fill up quicker, but much easier for binmen.  They do it in Brighton.  Not sure re food waste as those bins would stink unless washed out - the domestic-scale ones work by using biodegradable bags.

Berlin, Vienna, The Netherlands, Barcelona and loads of medieval villages where there are no waste bins but recycling still takes place.

Thanks JJ. Though your 'Vienna' link downloads a pdf from Flanders. Never mind, it's interesting and I can try taking a look next time we visit. It would be helpful to have specific locations for Dutch towns and the medieval villages. (I assume the latter are in the UK.)

On this topic, I'm absolutely with you JJB - bins blocking the pavement, apparently with the blessing of the council is an absolute disgrace. It was a case of a one size fits all policy that took no account of the differences between a large gardened, side-passaged house in one part of the borough and a small terrace with a garden the size of a postage stamp in another. Bins were forced upon people and now blight the landscape everywhere you look in Haringey. 

Greetings from Haringey (24 hours after I reported this as urgent to Veolia, it was still there)

The RNIB have begun an excellent campaign Who put that there? to protest at the numerous obstructions on our pavements that make the lives of blind and partially sighted (as well as people with mobility problems) a misery. It's almost as though they expect us to go from our front door to our cars without ever using the pavements but, of course, for the vast majority of us in Haringey the pavement is one of major means of getting from A to B. As a reasonably healthy, mobile person, I find walking can be a major hazard, not least from smelly dumped rubbish lying uncleared and bins jutting out as well as pavement parking and broken paving stones. Walk with my father who has mobility problems and I see that it is the worst sort of obstacle course for anyone who can't walk or see very well. Where's the incentive and pleasure of walking in having to deal with that?

Blame the foxes, send in the Quorn,

No, the old fox is just following his nature. Blame those who put black bags like that on the pavement. No doubt because their bins are full.

Can we expect a spinning press release from this EasyCouncil praising the owners of pitbulls who do such sterling work in dealing with our disdobedient foxes who undermine the best laid plans etc etc

Ugh...hate seeing stuff like that. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service