Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I saw the brief item below, on a local newswire.  I've written to Cllr John Bevan who is the now Cabinet Member for the Environment asking him to ensure that Haringey officers contact their colleagues in Southwark for a fuller update on this and then to provide a full briefing for councillors.  If it is being well-received then this approach could be well worth discussing. 

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, St. Ann's Ward

Chair, St. Ann's and Harringay Area Forum and Committee.

----------------------------------

Bookmakers levy proposed

High street bookmakers could be hit with a levy of 10% on their turnover in a bid to drive them out of a central London borough. Southwark Council wants to impose the charge, which could raise in the region of £40m a year, to tackle problems caused by betting shops. Town hall chiefs said that bookmakers profit from "the misfortune of many" and that if they stay in the borough they should be forced to contribute financially to the community. Southwark is believed to be the first council to ask Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles for powers to raise a levy on gambling under the Sustainable Communities Act.

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for spotting this Zena. I will also be asking the council whether this is something we can do in Harringay/Harringay.

I think this is an excellent idea. I think betting shops add little to the total social capital in a community. So, this is a good way to not only redress that balance, but to ensure some of the financial capital in a community remains in that community.

This sounds absolutely brilliant, lets hope the council goes for that. It's free money s why not? It's about time betting shops started giving something back, all the misery they cause and the extra policing costs they generate.

I'd like to see greater than 10%, however this should be on the EBITDA figure to avoid interesting tax writeoffs to reduce the figure.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service