Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I don’t know whether anyone has noticed the small and probably delicious take aways available on Green Lanes but some have no window for takeaway and I noticed one last Saturday with 6 people waiting in this tiny little restaurant , none were wearing mask and no place for self distancing, the chef was cooking generating heat and the door was firmly closed; I must say I was appalled.

Sainsbury was really busy, no queuing, no one restricting entry, no one way system, masks were warn or not, very festive but I felt really unsafe.

Post office advertises 3 people only allowed inside but people are just cramming in that small narrow space, some wear masks but no one is trying to reduce numbers going in, again it felt really unsafe and specially as queues are not moving fast. The Crouch end post office is much safer with someone at the door to measure amount of people going in and much bigger premises.

I really find Green Lane shopping is generally unsafe with many non essential shops open, and no one to stop the madness. COVID numbers in Haringey shot up last week.

Tags for Forum Posts: coronavirus

Views: 2558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

£30m was allocated in September for local authorities in England and a further £30m for the Police to carry out this specific kind of work.  While that’s tiny when spread out over 350ish local authorities (about £85k each) it could be used to employ 3 or 4 per authority who would be out in the street.  Seems some local authorities have just got on with it.

I think we all know where the hotspots are that are currently flouting the rules so they could be used mainly in those geographical areas with a floating brief borough wide.

Even after lockdown, wearing masks in shops, when going to the loos in restaurants will still be the 'rule' (law??) But not expecting any change in terms of enforcement round here. I've been to Dalston a few times and it's bad there, dare I say maybe worse? 

I also have low expectations of this council but maybe we need to force them to take this seriously and fine those who break the law because we are just letting them get away with murder otherwise

I hope your friend called the police and reported these businesses - they are breaking the law and should be shut down!

Think you might be replying to my post (apologies if you aren’t).

My friend is not one to shy away from stuff so he stopped two police officers on the street there and then.  They showed not the slightest bit of interest.  Similarly he asked a police officer the same day, who was accompanying a revenue protection officer on the bus he was travelling on, if he would speak to those on the bus not wearing masks.  He was told to mind his own business.  Not that it should make any difference, but my friend suffers from an immune deficiency disease - he has taken to walking everywhere whenever possible as he’s tired of putting himself at risk and being threatened when he challenges people in situations like this.

Hi Michael yes I was replying to you. That's very disappointing to hear. Why have police around if they can't be bothered to enforce the law

Knowing how much treatment costs might open people eyes but not sure if it would change minds that much. Just look at the US where healthcare can be extortionate. Highest number of cases and deaths in the world but a lot of people there don't seem to be bothered.

As far as that idiot Fox is concerned it's best to ignore everything he says. He thrives on the publicity and the more people talk about what he's said (even in outrage) he just gets more attention. He's talentless and stupid and should just be forgotten about

That makes him qualifired to run haringey counsil then

To continue the discussion, I found that the photoshop next or near Seymour road was open so I opened the door and asked the person manning the shop if his shop was essential so he had the cheek that it was not but that Haringey had given him permission to r3main open, a blatant lie as it is 5he government who decides. The big lamp shop is also open, happy snap in crouch end and the carpet shop too. The fact is that our number of cases is not really going down much whereas our neighbour Camden seem to have a hundred less a day. I don’t really buy the language barrier as most have television in their own language and some like the Greeks have a much stricter regime than ours. In fact in Greece they fine you and close shop for a week if they find you so blatantly cheat. It’s sad for the shops which bother to keep closed during lockdown , they should be thanked for protecting us

We should certainly make a bee-line for the shops that did remain close once they are open again and give them all the support and custom they deserve for sticking to the rules. 

I agree - and avoid the ones that ignored them!

Think we should also head to the pubs as well, at least those that can re-open (only those serving 'substantial meals.) 

All the restaurants down Green Lanes have been busy doing take aways so have had some income during lockdown and often queues inside as we've been discussing. Pubs really need help, they've been really battered at every twist and turn of this. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service