Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I understand that parking enforcement is suspended at the moment but, for when it returns, I'm trying to find an answer for something that doesn't seem to be on the website (or at least what I can find doesn't seem right).

I don't drive much so I share a small car with my mother-in-law, obviously a much more environmentally friendly option than a car each. She is the registered owner but we are both insured on it.

I can't work out how to get a resident's parking permit for this though. The website makes reference to the vehicle log book being in my name which isn't the case here.

The only option seems to be vistor's permits which would be about £1,200 per year more expensive. I'd probably be cheaper buying another car and getting a resident's permit rather than taking that route but obviously that isn't a good option.

Am I missing something here?

Views: 4016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you change the registered keeper to yourself?
Or if you only drive it occasionally you only need a permit on those occasions so surely it wont cost £1200 per year.

I don't think there is a way around this, you have to be the registered owner with the car registered at your address to be eligible for a residents parking permit. 

I have several families around me that have children and live else where .                                                       Who need permits to drop of children for school and day care

Who register their vehicle at parents address to get parking Permit

Thankfully they are not parking there at night, when there is limited spaces

The car should be registered to the address where it is usually kept and this entitles you to a parking permit at that address.  If the car is kept somewhere other than that address, then they are a visitor and only entitled to park on that basis.

Hi Andrew,

This is complicated and things are in place to prevent people who don’t live here getting a permit and commuter parking.

Can you drop me an email on seema.chandwani@haringey.gov.uk and I’ll ask the team to explore options. There may not be any but let’s try.


A visitors permit is £3.60 per day so buying these on an occasional basis seems a much better idea than buying a car for yourself.

Andrew, Seema is the Council cabinet member in charge of this area. She's always been very fair-minded in my experience. So do take her up on her offer.

It would be great if you could come back and share the outcome to your quandary.

I’ll take fair-minded! What about great sense of humour? Fabulous fashion sense? Amazing spelling mistakes? ;) 

Thank you Hugh for your kind words.

Phew, so glad I didn't add 'humble' to your qualities. What would have happened to my credibility then! :o)

The car is only worth £700 or so, it doesn't get heavy use so nothing particularly expensive is required.

The situation was somewhat mitigated previously with two week permits but it seems these have been removed and it is one day passes or nothing and obviously this gives rise to a huge price differential (and also a large price differential across Haringey when you look at areas very nearby in the Borough where a permit is only required for 2 hours a day).

I understand the issues around non-residents parking there and would be happy to prove the car is insured in my name or whatever.

Thank you for your offer Seema, I will drop you an email now.

The critical document is the log book, the V5 which shows the registered keeper - it does not show the legal owner.  Many people lease cars and although they keep and use the car as though it were their own it legally belongs to the leasing company.  So, Mum may be the owner but there is nothing to stop her transferring registered keeper status to you.  This is what DVLA say - "

The registered keeper is different to the owner of a vehicle. The registered keeper should be the person who is using the vehicle and keeping it, which can sometimes be different to the owner of the vehicle or the person who is responsible for paying for it.

The person who is responsible for the vehicle in terms of official communications from the police and the DVLA is known as the registered keeper, but the owner is the person who has paid for the car or was given it as a present.

The DVLA emphasizes that the person who is named on the registration document, which is sometimes also known as a V5 document, may not necessarily be the owner and that a V5 is not proof of ownership." 

So as you share the car with your mother you are as entitled to be shown as the registered keeper and that is sufficient evidence for Haringey to issue the permit.  Of course this might prove a problem if your mother has to get a permit in a different area but as long as you are happy to transfer registered keeper status back to her when she makes her application that should be OK too.  A bit of a nuisance having to make the changes but it should satisfy officialdom.

Big issue with registering a vehicle in Haringey. Is that insurance is based where vehicle Registered

And Haringey has got some of the Highest insurance Rates in UK.                                                                      So worth weighing in extra cost of insurance against other ticket methods 



© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service