Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This photo was taken on Saturday at Wood Green of Arriva's HV64 working the 141.

A little quiz. Anyone know the reason why this vehicle has been repainted in this colour scheme?

Tags for Forum Posts: Arriva, London Transport, Public Transport, RM664, Route 141, Routemaster, The Silver Lady, The White Lady, WLT 664, Wood Green

Views: 1897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's an add for some deducted by your employer charity giving I believe.

Do I win the bus?

Fraid not, it may well be an advert. But what I wanted to know is, why that colour?

Here's Arriva's press release:

http://www.arrivalondon.com/about/arriva-london-paints-a-bus-platin...

As for why 'platinum', it's the level of award from the Charities Aid Foundation related to what percentage of Arriva London's staff have joined the scheme.

It doesn't stand out as it would once have done because so many New Routemasters have all-over advertising vinyls now - even including the non-glass parts of the windows.

Thanks for the link Gordon. Very interesting, but no word on why this particular vehicle was chosen.

There is a reason and that is what my question was about.

Why and for what reasons was this vehicle chosen to become the so-called 'Platinum' vehicle?

Ah, is it the Number of the Beast minus two??

Nope

The clue is the registration plate WLT 664, dating from 1961, which was originally used on Routemaster RM664.

In the late 1950s, early 1960s London Transport was toying with idea of not painting its vehicles and therefore saving time and money. This scheme was carried forward on the Underground and the 1959 stock for the Piccadilly Line, as well as the 1962 stock were delivered in unpainted aluminium nakedness.

Thoughts then turned to London's Buses. In 1961, one bus was delivered in natural silver aluminum rather than the usual bus red. Routemaster RM664 was allocated to Holloway depot (HT) and worked on Route 276 Tottenham Garage to Streatham via Manor House, Finsbury Park, Camden Town and Oxford Circus.

RM664 was very quickly given the name 'Silver Lady'. Seen here on Whitehall working the 276.

Later it was transferred to Walthamstow Garage (WW) and was a regular on Route 123, then Manor House to Ilford. Seen here at Manor House.

RM664 was London's first Silver bus and was repainted red in 1966/67. Another silver all-over advert bus appeared in 1972 and 25 followed in 1977 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee.

Another look at WLT 664 - RM664 working the 127 Victoria to Waltham Cross via Manor House, Tottenham and Edmonton. Seen here at the Nag's Head.

"Nope":....?   Phooey.  "Number of the Beast" = 666  Minus two.....

Yes, sorry.. I was playing with the eternal answer 42 in my head

Well when you first posted I did notice the registration number and wondered why the bus had such an old one, but it wasn't until you posted your follow-up question that I twigged.

It's the reg number of the original Routemaster Silver Lady: RM664

http://www.vintagebus.org/RM577/SilverLadyinservice.aspx

TWL

TWL = The White Lady

Well done you two. I'm not the only 'spotter' here after all !

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service