Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads)

Apart from Adam Coffman was anyone else aware this work - removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads) - was happening?

I know it was discussed at the first meeting of the Harringay Passage Group (yet to be constituted) in January, but wasn't aware a decision had been made between the council & a few residents that this work was to go ahead.

Views: 4676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Railings attract fly tipping. After the removal of railings and the installation of planters in Warham the incidences of dumping dropped to almost nothing. Children pause at planters to investigate and if you plant sweet smelling herbs touch. Next thing is to get road narrowed to slow traffic further and improve visibility.

That's not true for all Ladder roads though.

Falkland still gets its share of dumped mattresses etc in the passage, as well as the thoughtfully placed broken mirrors etc by the railings, as well as the Veoila bags from the street sweeping (which tbf are usually picked up the same day)

Liz, up in our neck of the woods Frobisher Rd is one of the worst spots for dumping when it comes to Passage/road junctions. The  dumpers don't go, 'oh dear flowers, can't be dumping there' (!)

Planters are an interesting idea but not the only one. And Frobisher Rd planters have never been maintained, not even by the radical gardener who lives on the same road. Overall, safety at these junctions come first. 

Matt, each road will need its own solution.

But the basic idea of Frobisher works for motorists and pedestrians. It's one of the roads I feel safest crossing. Railings give a false sense of security to drivers and makes them relax their guard but in the short term and until such time as more radical solutions and the money to do them is available they are fine.

Can I repeat what has been said before by the way, there was no proposal in the audit to remove railings wholesale but as part of a process of change in partnership with residents. The rail removal does however fit with Haringey's new policy of removing railings as seen on Green Lanes, Manor House and elsewhere. Which doesn't explain what happened yesterday. I think that was what they call in the business a cock-up. 

You have read the audit, haven't you Matt? And you're all ready for next Tuesday?

Looking fwd to your feedback on the consultation process you must have gone through with fellow residents on your road re the planters and removal of street furniture Liz. See you Tuesday.

Matt: 'The  dumpers don't go, 'oh dear flowers, can't be dumping there' (!)', I expect better of you.

Of course having a nice built environment contributes to people's feelings of whether they can litter or not. Don't be such a jafa.

You are such a posh boy you can't even spell Bogan.

There was a spate of big dumps in the middle of the passage between Frobisher and Lausanne but the passage entrance and planters on Frobisher Rd aren't actually too bad for dumping compared to what i see elsewhere, its mainly small things like bottles and beer cans in plastic bags and bannana skins and the like placed on or by the planters. What would really help for that type of thing is a rubbish bin there.

Probably the stuff dumped is gone by the time you get up Ant - efficient council. Your planter designed junction hot spot for dumped rubbish is here (by the wall, in front of the school gate).

Well, I walk past the ones on Warham every weekday between 6:30 and 7:00 am and it's nothing like the crap we used to get here. It was so frequent back then that I think a lot of people thought mattresses were part of the street furniture!

Seemed like such a good idea i put in a request to get one put there, using the council's suggest a new litter bin site page. HC-198221, wonder what will happen.

Woot! Its getting a new street litter bin there. I'm going to ask for a bench there now too...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service