Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Whose entitlement to Council Tax Reduction could be affected?

•  All working-age CTRS claimants.

The level of support provided to pensioners by the scheme is determined by the government, therefore if you are a pensioner the level of support you receive will be unaffected by the consultation proposals.

Have your say [ https://www.haringey.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/council-tax/he... ]

Consultation closes this week, Wednesday 10 November 2921

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the proposal is implemented, we estimate most working-age residents would receive the same support as now with approximately 6% receiving a slightly smaller amount of support (average £32 per year/62p per week) and approximately 6% receiving a slightly higher amount of support (average £36 per year / 69p per week).

Seems like that is the only solid change, the rest is administration.

But of course, with Haringey and their massive deficits and money wastes, there may be some hidden bits.

I was surprised last week to get a letter via Royal Mail inviting me to complete the consultation. I did think "how many others, and how much has Haringey spent on postage on this?".

I'm not of working age, nor have I ever applied for this reduction, nor am I a frequent completer of consultations.

As CC indicates, the funding changes are small anyway [amounting to just £10,000 in £37 million, says the council].

It’s a legal requirement to consult on changes to the scheme - for example Hackney had to carry one out last year.

Well yes, but most consultations don't involve posting out letters, just publicity on the council website and sometimes in Haringey People. Does this particular issue require mail to every Haringey resident or household, I wondered (like the electoral register updates). If so, fair enough.

Two footnotes.

A 2016 review of schemes asked the government to clarify procedures for consultations - the government declined [p. 27 of PDF].

Haringey's first consultation led to a 2014 Supreme Court case which found the consultation to be unlawful.

Safety first this time?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service