Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Candidates for Council Office would do well to say what they propose to do about the following two disgraceful situations -

I have never seen our roads in such a poor state of repair. All of the Ladder roads have three or four major potholes; on Green Lanes south of Endymion there is a pothole large and deep enough to swallow a baby buggy complete with occupant or a G-Wizz. There is a huge, but happily shallow, depression on Turnpike Lane outside the Lebanese grocer and a deep rut traversing the Lane. The Council may well say that these are caused by winter frosts but this winter was relatively mild. Suburban roads in Moscow are in much better condition and, as you know, they really do have frost.

Candidates and current Councillors, why are our roads in such atrocious condition ?

Secondly, parking charges are going up - as they do. But in the Council-run car park behind M&S in Muswell Hill the charge for 1 hour parking has gone up overnight from £1.20 an hour to £2.25 an hour.

Candidates and current Councillors, why has the charge more than doubled when payment is now by telephone ( a further charge ? ) so the Council now does not need to pay someone to empty the pay-and-display machines ? How can you justify that increase ?

Your answers may affect the result of the upcoming May election.

A. V. Oter

Tags for Forum Posts: parking, potholes

Views: 1248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, that's one. Well done Karen

Dear All

I have been reporting the potholes in the ward for the last few weeks and will continue to do so. Roads reported include Endymion, Pemberton, Beresford. I agree, It has rarely been as bad as currently. Things may have been affected by the weather but it is extremely worrying that there are so many potholes appearing. I am told the highways inspectors and contractors are dealing with it, but the problem is widespread and whoever runs the new council will need to confront this. 

Regarding parking charges, as your ward councillor I responded to the consultation and ensured that every comment I received from residents was passed on. My own personal view is that these need a review.

Zena Brabazon

Councillor, Harringay ward

Labour Candidate, Harringay ward 2018 elections

Thank you Zena.

But if you've been reporting the roads for the past few weeks, it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Well John. The first step is reporting and as a Councillor that is what I've done. I have chased things up and been told the Highways Inspector is doing his rounds. I will chase again.

Best wishes

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Thanks again

John, a bit more info on the current position.

The Status Report on the Corporate Plan 2015-18 states that out of a target of 95% only 23% of potholes have been repaired. This is blamed on “contractor failure”. The target will therefore come nowhere near to being meet. Haringey are apparently looking at alternative providers and working with the current provider to improve current service levels.

Is that report available, Karen?

Here is the link to the report on Haringey’s website

https://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/documents/s100126/Priority%203%...

Absolutely not being an expert, but being able to read: I wonder what has been done before the last year of the 2015-18 plan to identify any issues with the contractors and why, if there have been issues identified, they haven't been addressed more quickly. It's difficult to read too much between the lines here because it depends on when and at what rate that 23% completion was achieved, but it looks to me like the council has taken its eye off the ball in monitoring contractor progress and/or doing something about under performance. Zena and Karen, can we find out anything more about the council's record on this and, if I'm right, how can this be stopped from happening again?

I'd be inclined to raise an internal issue into the quality of the work the contractors are doing. It always appears to be a sticking plaster rather than a proper repair.

One of my first thoughts was to wonder if the real failing here is a failure by the Council to manage the contractors, either on a day-to-day basis or because a poor contract was signed in the first place. But before reaching that conclusion, I'd like at leat to see what the report has to say.

I have raised the contractor issue since it looks to me that work is taking ages to get done etc. I suspect there are issues related to all this. It could be contract monitoring, contract management, the nature of the contract  and the quality of the work itself. This suggests an urgent review!

Zena 

Zena Brabazon

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service