Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As many of you will have seen since the thaw, potholes have been appearing everywhere. I came across two very nasty ones this morning on Green Lanes (both in the northbound lane): pothole 1 is by the bus stop just before Endymion Road and pothole 2 is by the bus stop by Railway Fields opposite Harringay Green Lanes. I have reported them for repair but they might not be fixed immediately. If you come across any potholes, you can use this very easy reporting tool which identifies which council is responsible, and sends them an email: http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/report

Tags for Forum Posts: fillthathole, pothole

Views: 452

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this a specific comment to me, John? If so, could you say a little more, please.
Well, I think it's silly that you've had to post the same info that you posted almost exactly a year ago. My normalisation of data itch is tingling. I was just pointing out that we're going over old ground and that the information is there already if you have a search in the forums. We are at least 50% a moaning area though...
I agree. But as you know, data are not information; and information isn't knowledge. Not everybody knows 'the system'. Transience is a central feature of many areas. And not everyone thinks about checking the Council website, or even doing a search on HoL's back catalogue.

Though I think what's really silly is when organisations in charge of dealing with ice, snow and potholes in Haringey (mainly the council and Transport for London) appear to be unresponsive to suggestions whether from residents or councillors.

I hope this is now changing with the rapturous news of the departure of Cllr Wassisname who used to be in charge of this. His replacement, Cllr John Bevan has today emailed every Haringey councillor telling us that officers are preparing a Winter Service Plan which learns the lessons from this winter and in 2008/9. The aim is to set policy and operational details for future winter months.

I replied immediately to John Bevan asking him to throw this open to all residents. And invite their criticisms and suggestions; tapping into a wide range of experience and ideas.
I gave more information in my original post (by bus top just before Endymion Road)

I reported this via the recommended channels making very clear how dangerous it was on the 15th January and have subsequently spoken on the phone to the pothole inspector for this area and the person who manages all the pothole repairs for Haringey.

I appreciate that there has been a huge increase in potholes in the last few weeks, but in my opinion the failure to repair this particularly over-sized pothole, is unacceptable.
Apologies, Adam. I didn't read back to the top of the thread.
Here's someone who suggests planting flowers in potholes as a form of (pretty) protest although this might be more than your life is worth to try on Green Lanes

More street art from the Flickr pages of Martin Reis. This time a witty take on pothole protest in Toronto. Photo posted here with Martin's permission.

Click to see the original enormous POW! And the entire Aargh! YIPE! WHUMP photoset.

Dunno if there's a collective noun* for Potholes. But all councillors were emailed by Cllr Nilgun Canver asking us to report the huge numbers of new holes which appeared since the winter snow.

I guess some of these were originally deemed 'below the intervention threshold'. So if there was a hole in your road which has now turned into a pit, can I please ask HoL members to get reporting. You can use the online Report-a-Problem page or phone 020 8489 1335. 

By the way, I strongly recommend giving a description - depth, breadth, assessment of potential hazard. Despite the previous obstinate refusal to value the assessments of residents, it's obviously good sense if you can give a rough idea of especially dangerous potholes.

* Perhaps an appropriate term is an "Albert Hall" of potholes?

Or just a Black Hole of potholes where all the potholes of all the galaxies join up and disappear so the Council can ignore them all collectively?

Guys.  Sorry for posting here. I cannot find the thread from a while back related to the dangerous pot hole on Green Lanes near the crossing into Finsbury park near Rowley Gardens.

If you remember (Alan and others) there was some discussion with folks in Hackney council and the hole that caused an accident was temporarily patched with a view to a permanent fix. I keep walking past it and seeing that the hole is growing again as the temporary tarmac fix is compacted. No permanent fix has been carried out, and I am not sure the trees have been cut back either (as was suggested would be the case).

Other than reporting it again (which I will) any idea who the person in Hackney council was that said they would sort it? Might be worth going back to them before the winter and another unnecessary injury.

It's here, Justin.

In practice what worked was my phonecall to Hackney's emergency service. Also a phone conversation with a very helpful man in Highways who cut through the bureaucracy by simply contacting his opposite number in Hackney. (Unfortunately he no longer works for Haringey.)

For HoL members who haven't seen this discussion before, the key issue is that the borough boundary is the New River as it runs under Green Lanes.  To the south,  roads and potholes belong to Hackney.

Thanks Alan, I find it devilishly hard to find old stuff on HoL sadly... I even tried using Google to find it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service