Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

at the moment we have two large wheelie bins collected every week. we don't recycle. but we do use all the kitchen waste to make our own compost. To avoid having 4 bins i suppose we could start using one for recyclables and one for landfill, but would the council empty the wheelie  bin on a recycling day?? or would we have to apply for lots and lots of little boxes?? 

does anyone know of a private rubbish collector? 

Views: 1027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't seem as though the council are forcing you to do anything. You're happy to have 4 bins and endure fortnightly collections. They aren't going to fine you for it or probably even visit you to convince you otherwise so long as you keep it tidy and don't overfill your bins. You've convinced yourself after your initial question and all the input you've had that its too much trouble. 

Just keep your eyes peeled for Lib Dem councillors who might want to come and look crossly at your bins and do a bit of pointing. You wouldn't want your bins ending up in the papers

The most interesting aspect of this Haringey Independent story is the comment below it from Andy Bird.

I've not met Andy but have had email and phone contact. He runs one of the many small media and arts businesses at Studio 28 in Lawrence Road N15.

Over several years despite hard work by Haringey's enforcement staff, it seems that what passes for our "Planning and Regeneration" service has completely failed to grasp that small "cultural industry" businesses don't need grand sounding "cultural quarters". Instead they have the same modest needs as the rest of us, for a clean, safe local environment to work and live in.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Poor Mrs Finch. You need one of these to keep you company.

well this morning as i took a big cardboard box out to put in the bin, i realised that a lot of our waste is cardboard so if they give me a wheelie bin for recyclables it would be no effort to put the cardboard in there.that would save space in my normal rubbish (wish people would not call it landfill--it gets burned)  I have also spotted a bin compacter that you can use to squash rubbish in your wheelie bin, so i might be able to cope with fortnightly collections.

As i hurled my wine bottle into the kitchen bin last night I wondered if i would want to leave it on the side and take it out to a box the next day--no thats not going to happen. 

It's not really that hard. We've got a green box in a cupboard in the kitchen and it all goes in there. Then we put it out each Friday.

I don't know the proportions but a lot of rubbish is landfill surely? You can't burn glass.

I have what was my old rubbish bin, a big flip-top, alongside a small (about half a bucket) sized bin. Recyclable rubbish is clean - glass, card, washed tins, paper, rinsed plastic bottles. 'Landfill' goes in the small bin, and it takes me more than a fortnight to fill that, unless I'm on a particular clearing-out frenzy. Food waste goes in the little black box.  Really it is no extra effort - if you think about each piece of 'rubbish' for a few seconds it soon becomes second nature to choose the bin. Because LBH takes so much as recycling, and we don't even need to sort it, you'll find that what's left over as landfill is actually a small part of your rubbish. So all you need is a small second bin (carrier bag?) and your old rubbish bin becomes the R/C bin. Easy peasy. 

"You can't burn glass"?  Ah, but you can melt it, Alison. And blow it. And grind it. And much more.

A British Glass industry website claims that recycling glass is a "closed loop". "Potentially 100% recyclable". And "it can be recycled over and over again without loss of quality or integrity".

If you start with the home page  you'll see that their website is colourful and lively and aims to be an educational resource - mainly for children and young people. It's divided into the key stages with all sorts of activities. (There's also a section for grown-ups.)

If anyone knows of a better website, please post the link for those of us who are parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles ; and/or school governors.

Alan

P.S. I should have added to my last comment, and for those of us who are simply curious.

Also, as I sometimes tell young people I'm acquainted with, if I was young and thinking of a career in an exciting, rapidly developing, socially useful and fascinating area of work, I'd be looking at recycling and the 'green' industries generally.

As this thread makes crystal clear, it's no longer about dirt and dirty jobs. It involves cutting-edge technical change, public education, engagement and behaviour change. And of course trying to save the planet and averting a new Dark Age.

Hello Mrs Finch.

Maybe look at it a different way, its not so much taking the recyclable items out of the general rubbish, as nearly everything is now recyclable, its more a case of putting everything together into the kitchen bin (wine bottles, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, yoghurt pots, tin cans, cartons, plastic bags, glass, newspapers, plastic milk containers ) as usual and then emptying it out in the recycle box/ bin at the end of the week as usual, HOWEVER remember to exclude food, batteries, cellophane, silver foil, polystyrene. What is NOT put in the recycle bin makes up such a small proportion of the rubbish and I just keep a little bag for that. 

As you already compost you can add roughly ripped up cardboard, toilet rolls and paper to the compost, as suggested above, layered between garden refuse and peelings it breaks down and makes good compost. Clothes shouldn't go in any bin there are enough charity shops that will recycle them. All the best

Re bins, I think when they start the fortnightly system, they will replace the green boxes with a green wheely bin. So you'll have two wheely bins. The R/C collection van will then have hoists like for the landfill bins. The R/C collectors at the mo are not equipped to pick up wheelies. Maybe someone in the west can tell us how it works, as they are already up+running. I'm looking forward to not having to balance several green boxes full every week in a not-very-artistic pile. 

Mrs Finch. I believe I may have worked out what the source of your "problem" is. You probably think wine bottles have to be segregated into red, white and now of course the retros rosé. This is not the case. They can all go together. I would recommend you get another couple of bins though as they are great ice storers for keeping your drinks cool if we ever get barbecue weather. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service