Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Owners of Proposed Triple Restaurant in former Fairline/Class A Premises Finally Come Clean

The owners of the almost complete new restaurant in the former Fairline/Class A premises have been pretending for the last year or so that their project was anything but a new restaurant. They even had their agent come on HoL to protest their innocence with regard to any such move.

Of course anyone with half a mind didn't believe them for a moment and they've now finally come clean and have applied for retrospective planning permission.

There are very sound grounds for objection to this development given in Haringey's planning policy and one hopes that the Council will make proper and fair use of these in making their planning determination. 

Local objections, particularly those that can be linked to policy are taken into account and do make a difference. Any resident can object. I am attaching a copy of the LCSP's objection which makes clear which policies can be referenced for your objection.

If you'd like to object, or support, the application, you can do so via the planning pages of Haringey's website here, using the "Comment on Application" button towards the bottom of the page. (EDIT: I made a comment essentially just supporting the LCSP's statement in its entirety).

See the tag below for all other related posts.

Tags for Forum Posts: fairline

Views: 15813

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A number of neighbouring boroughs aren't so *blessed* with Turkish restaurants and their inhabitants will obviously go out of their way if they hear of a good one. Green Lanes is obviously a Mecca (no pun intended) for such people. The trouble is such visitors do very little for the general Green Lanes economy otherwise.

Graham, that's true. I have friends who regularly 'come down t lanes' for a meat feast. But .... If it's not a Turk then what??

It could be worse, anyone for another McDonald's ? Kenturcky ? a Matalan ? Super sized Starbucks?

It's a substantial sized site and with a yard to develop into could attract all manner of mutli nationals you may not want.

If it were split up , say a double and single you'd only end up with a Turk and another coffee bar.

I'd prefer a resturant but what type?

Edging round the planning app was wrong but without a 'Cranks' veggie what else could fill the space? And would anyone use it?

Well the whole point is that it couldn't be any of those. The change from retail to restaurant/cafe/fast food is the problem, not the fact that it's Turkish.

I'm not saying that the owners of Sira shouldn't pay the price of their slipperiness but if the result is that the site remains empty or retail we may end up with a sainsbury local which would simply put pressure on the other grocers.

And if Big Mac or the like start sniffing around ... they have an army of lawyers that could bury a beleaguered planning dept . I was part of a design team that sqeezed a Big Mac into Hampstead against a very well organised and funded anti Mac protest 25 years ago. The only thing they got was a green resturant frontage and a change of interior decor.

I think the important issue is the mix on GL. At the moment there are 22 restaurants of one sort or another. Almost half of all frontages are not retail (shops). Allowing even more restaurants risks the street becoming a kind of business monoculture, where the place sees little business during the day, with most people using the restaurants at night when the remaining non-restaurant frontages are closed. Areas where one kind of business predominates are incredible vulnerable too, because of over saturation and changing fads.
By the way, permission is given purely for restaurant use, not the type of cuisine served.

The prime requisite for any developer in terms of restaurants is that it has to make money. It has been proved by their very proliferation, that Turkish restaurants make money, so they are any obvious choice for a developer. Someone mentioned the term monoculture and I'm afraid that is what Green Lanes is in danger of turning into. Personally I'd like to see a good Ethiopian Restaurant, but I can't see many Turkish people turning out for that. Alternatively a good Jewish kosher deli. Or how about a Waterstones?

Thinking about it, it would be nice to see the property divided back into three and have a variety of different retail outlets. It could be great, however, once divided they would be able to get change of use to restaurants.
Once that happens .... Who knows.

I guess what it means is we actually need to use the retail outlets we have or they will go and this stretch of GL will become the 'Turkish quarter' as some at the council have already labelled it.

If it was three different restaurants it would be three different sets of business rates...

See my comment above - lack of use of the grocers wasn't the issue.

We're now up to 16 objections. I've just submitted my objection, essentially just by supporting the LCSP's submission in its entirety. 

I shall be submitting mine over the weekend. Wife will too.

But what are yoiu objections, exactly?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service