Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Who do we fancy to tackle Boris (or whoever) in 2012?

Oona or Ken?

Personally Ken rates highly on my nostalgia meter and New Labour politicians telling me to forget about the war are missing the point. They screwed up big time and we'll see them back in office when they've learned their lesson and not before.

Tags for Forum Posts: elections, ken, labour, london, mayoral, newlabour, oona

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some businessmen in the City are backing Oona. Are they frightened of Ken?

Ken did win the war with Westminster Council & the Black cabbies to install the predestrain area north of Trafalger Square and what a huge improvement that has made. If he can do more of that sort of thing he gets my vote. If he gets back in in 2012 he can work with David Milliband as PM from 2015.
I have a nostagic fondness for Ken from the 80s at County Hall when he was a tranformational force. But I can never forgive him for the bluddy Olympics, a misdirection of that monster ego.

Oona King seems charming but somehow has the reputation for being a ruthless careerist. Spose they all have to be that.

Eventually it will be about who can get elected over Boris, who despite having done approximately nothing, is good at looking like a loveable amusing buffoon, racking up points on his way to Number Ten.
Who do we fancy

Who is this royal "we"?

I see John is a fan of "guided" democracy.

Are there no other candidates? Are there even no other parties?

Surely HoL is more than just the Labour Party?

Reminds me of "we are a grandmother"!

Amen
Ken got to big for hits boots and forgot who elected him last time. Which is why he lost to Boris. Ken won't stand a chance, he simply go too arrogant for his own good. Oona King sounds like she can't lead a p'up in a brewery, so I think Boris will have an easy ride. And why not? I quite like Boris. There. Out and proud!
I'll be voting for Boris (shock horror!)
Its Ken's job of course, always has been and always will be. Without the olympics we wouldnt have all the new improvements to London transport, like our lovely new trains on the Gospel to Barking line.
@ Clive, The question is about those two because the current pack of LP voting papers asks that question as well as the leadership one (and NEC membership etc). So it's a complete question. Who can beat boris?

How do I know? I wish for a very small typeface here. I joined the Party, so I can vote for the leader. Cost me £3.45 so far.
I hope Pam, that was not your sole purpose in joining. Although there are, of course, far worse reasons for joining any political party.

But isn't there a basic problem?

Why ape the U.S. presidential system? Is politics only about picking one person and making them 'it'? The Leader or the Mayor? (Or perhaps Il Duce, or El Caudillo? Or in the case of Boris Johnson, El Vaudevillo) Do we want or need a presidential style of governing?

What happened to teamwork? Have we given up belief in building judgements by drawing on different experience and talents?

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor - Labour)
Alan, all party politics aside, I would like to say a few words in defence of the position of Mayor of London. President Harry Truman had a sign on his desk "The Buck Stops Here!" And that is the essence of it: individual responsibility. Harry Truman could not be divided in himself, nor could Ken or Boris (as a committee could be).

Ken used to boast to overseas visitors that they could send him a postcard from anywhere in the world, addressed simply as Ken, London and it would reach him. And they did! While this was a little hubristic of Ken it does show the extent of personal following. And Boris has the largest personal size-of-vote of any politician in the country.

When an individual is the head of and represents an organisation – or even a church – and fails to take responsibility, then it is plain for all to see and that is how it should be, no?

In our giant city it is surely important that someone is known as the chief rather than some anonymous committee? The Mayoralty makes politics a little bit more relevant and identifiable for ordinary people.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service