Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I mentioned over on the Northern Ladder Traffic Reduction Proposal discussion that i'd ask the council what they thought, here is the response i've just received:

----

Unfortunately at present the proposal to reverse the one-way traffic flow of Falkland Road and to ban vehicles entering/exiting Frobisher Road is not possible. This is because the introduction of these measures may have potential adverse impact on the wider transport network. To understand the impact on the transport network the proposals would need to be considered as part of a more comprehensive technical traffic modelling exercise or temporarily implemented under a temporary traffic order to enable live examination of the impact. The latter is currently being undertaken on Hewit Road as part of the Green Lanes portfolio of schemes, which have allowed this proposal to be included as part of the schemes Statutory Notification process; this is now closed and there is not an available window for further Statutory Notification.

Nevertheless, we will keep this request on file for inclusion in future works programmes subject to securing the required funding.

I hope this has been helpful and please contact me should you require any further information.

Views: 1366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool but I did say "rung road".

They have probably done Frobisher because of the school.  It looks like the surrounding roads haven't had the polution measured buth it would be about the same as Frobisher I would guess.

The council didn't say anything about if it makes sense or not, the main thing for them is the cost and how to consult and notify about it. Which aspects of it don't make sense to you? You don't think it would help reduce traffic on the residential streets? You don't think the traffic would get displaced to Green Lanes and Turnpike Lane? Something else?

Well you at least spurred me on to phone up the guy who'd sent the response to ask him more about it. He is one of the Major Schemes Project Managers in the council's Sustainable Transport Group and he'd consulted with other senior managers about the proposal. They certainly do not think it makes no sense. We had a good chat about this proposal, the wider Ladder traffic issues and the Hewit Rd direction change. Cost really is an issue with getting any progress made with this proposal, but, as with so many things around here, it sounds like the main thing would be the GLSG and Nilgun Canver to want it.

"as with so many things around here, it sounds like the main thing would be the GLSG...to want it"

I am genuinely not being Awkward Larry here, but who elected the GLSG to make/direct policy on our behalf?

I meant to ask the council guy about it but he out of time. I think that would be only a smaller amount of the traffic that cuts through the top Ladder roads but still seems worthwhile. I think i remember John mentioning the right turn and suggesting it would be impossible but i can't find that post now and don't see why it couldn't be done either.

Turnpike lane gets very busy so although a right turn makes sense I don't think this would stop cars turning down Lausanne and Raleigh Road.  When we were trying to make the pavements wider and introduce a cycle lane under the bridge TFL argued that the bus lane under the bridge to the Wightman/Turnpike/Hornsey Park junction was critical.

Mind you that whole junction needs rethinking, it is horrid and it takes forever to cross it on foot because of the lights

How about moving the existing No Right Turn so that instead of preventing traffic turning right out of Wightman Rd into Turnpike Lane its moved to the west entrance to the junction to prevent traffic coming from under the railway tracks turning right into Wightman Rd. That would divert traffic away from using the Ladder roads as shortcuts to West Green Rd, St Anns etc, and allow northbound traffic to go via Turnpike Lane instead of the Ladder roads like Paul suggests. What are the problems with doing that?

How about putting a gate halfway along every ladder road, i.e. turn every ladder road into an upper and lower cul-de-sac.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, I have read most of the previous threads but may have missed it.

That was most recently suggested here. Sounds great to me but as was pointed out it might be quite expensive. This Frobisher gate could be a stepping stone to something like that, it would sort out the half a dozen streets at the top of the Ladder in one go and is comparatively cheap, but blocking all the roads at the passage seems a nicer option if it could be afforded.

I am not a driver, but reintroducing two way traffic and making cars constantly turning around or reversing up and down the roads is not ideal especially if you live where the cars will be turning.  I also quite like the idea that a police car drives down the road from time to time.  They wouldn't do that if it was a cul de sac.

Its a valid point about the problems of turning around and reversing up and down the roads not being ideal. On most streets that should be fairly minimal though because there would be no through traffic just traffic visiting houses on the streets, the bigger problem would be the streets with schools and all the school run traffic in the morning and afternoon wanting to turn around after the school drop off, maybe something could be done like have the bollards lowered for those times to let cars through. Also note this would not a problem at the northern end if the Frobisher gate happened as the streets at the north of the Ladder could stay one way only.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service