Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi,

Had this same problem last summer. The back of the shops on Green Lanes that run between Umfreville Road N4 and Burgoyne Road N4, have little flats that are rented out. These flats open out onto the roofs of the shops, which the residents use as 'roof terraces'.

Last year there were a group of 8 guys living in a tiny little room who would be out on the roof all night cooking on a bbq and talking very loud. When one woman shouted out at 3am that she needed sleep as she was a new mum she was told to 'shut the f*** up you stupid b**ch', so lovely guys.

They left and this year we have the pleasure of yet more lovely neighbourly types. But it's worse. There are now 3 of these flats that are rented and all the tenants use the roof area out back. There's unbearable noise pretty much every other night. This morning at 4:30am I was woken by one of the usual lot - a bunch of 20-30 year old Spaniards all wearing black heavy metal T-Shirts who think it's fine to scream, shout and sing at the top of their voices. They're still out there now and it's 10am. So an all-nighter for them and no sleep for us. There's another 'family' next door who actually have a small baby who also like to live it up on the roof till the early hours. Then, along a little, there's another group of people who like to party very loud. One woman shouted out her window that she was a nurse and had to get up early - she was greeted by a loud chorus of cheering and laughing. So basically - they're all a bunch of total scum bags.

And I believe the 'landlords' fall into the scumbag category too. One night a group were doing some maintenance, drilling, hammering, that sort of thing - at 3am! When I asked out the window why they were doing this at that time, I was told to 'shut the f*ck up and mind my business or I'll f***ing kill you'. I believe these are the lovely owners.

Ok, so how do I deal with this? I've called the Haringey Noise team about 6 times so far. They insist that they need to come to my house in the middle of the night to record levels. The fact that these people are out on a roof top shouting and screaming doesn't seem to cut the mustard with Haringey. I can't make a formal complaint unless I get one of these guys to come round to my house at 4am. I don't really want that - who would? I want them to come round and see that the noise is ridiculous. But this isn't the way the noise team work as I've been explained to many times - not procedure. So call Noise Team - report noise - they don't bother coming to investigate noise - they give you reference number - you keep listening to noise. This morning when I called the noise team I was told, 'The noise team have gone home'. So I asked what I should do and was told to phone back on Monday. On their web page, Haringey Council claim they take noise problems very seriously. After dealing with them last year and recently - this is complete lie.

I have also called the police several times. They usually suggest calling the noise team. But they can also be helpful and say things like 'Oh, that sounds awful sir. Ok, I'm sending someone round' etc. etc. No one EVER comes round to investigate.

So here I am on this forum and I need some advice. I can't move flat as I can't afford it but I feel like I can't put up with this any more. People who are effected by this - and I know lots of people must be - NEED to report it. Hassle the useless noise team 

Office Hours

• Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm, Tel 020 8489 1000

Outside Office Hours

• Weekdays, Monday - Friday: 5pm - 9am, Tel 020 8348 3148
  • Weekends, Friday 5pm to Monday 9am, Tel 020 8348 3148

Report it to the police:  0300 123 1212

These people are selfish scum and shouldn't get away with making so many peoples lives a misery, just so they can get drunk on their crappy roof terraces all night.

I'd also be interested to know if these flats are actually legal in the first place as they look very dodgy to me.

Anyway, rant over. Any help would be much appreciated.

Don

Tags for Forum Posts: noise, noisy neighbours

Views: 1029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't be such a wuss.

Hi Germana.  From my experience it is just fine to speak to the landlords.  The vast majority are not what you think they may be.  Unscrupulous yes, tight fisted yes, ignorant yes. violent no. I am saying this as someone who has complained to  Harringay landlords, both of whom had properties on either side of me,one was a slum landlords and the other did an ilegal conversion. Both as dodgy as hell.  I have also complained publicly about illegal COL and HMOs on planning pages, stating my name and address and I can assure you my kneecaps are just fine. :) 

Don, re. this: But he warned that if it's been like this for some time, and nobody has complained, that they become legal.

The limit is years, then they can apply for a certificate to make it legal. Unless it's so illegal that they can't, i.e. structurally unsound, dangerous etc etc. They also need to prove the conversions have been in place for years. Give it a shot!  I feel your pain, I really do..   

wow I hadn't even thought of the possibility of landlords being dangerous! Don, people who told you this may be overdoing it?

Thanks everyone for the advice, probably talking to the landlord after figuring out who it is might be the next step. And of course next time as soon as I sense there is a party starting I'll call as early as 11pm. I thought doing so would be silly because I am personally not against some degree of party noise until 12 or even 1 am on a weekend (occasionally), having held plenty of those myself when I was young. But it seems the only solution if this is how the system works and I now know these people will carry on till 7 am anyway on average. 

Well at least you know now too Germana :) ! and too late now for me to edit my response!

don, what is an 'illegal gambling den' how is gambling illegal (or, why would someone illegally gamble when it is perfectly legal anyway ?)
I have a roulette wheel it was bought from a toy shop. Hey, folk play cards so what ? i assume they also play backgammon, who's getting hurt ?

Yes, he would and he also knows full well what illegal gambling is and what some folks get up to on Green Lanes.

James, can I suggest that if you have nothing material in the way of advice to contribute to this thread that you leave it for people who do.

Having suffered for 18 months from noisy and inconsiderate neighbours (dj decks above my bedroom, time when they considered it okay to play music being weekdays at 3am, all night parties many weekends) when I lived in a flat on the other side of the park, I can assure you that it is no laughing matter and after countless disturbed nights you soon lose your sense of humour about it all.

I assume the roofs do not meet any building regulations so they could well be very unsafe for this family to use.

PS It doesn't matter how long they have been using them for if they don't conform to building regulations and safety guidelines including for railings, weight carrying reinforcement, water drainage etc. If the landlords are as bad as they sound, their properties may have other serious safety issues that are of great interest to environmental health, planning and enforcement so do report it. The families that live there- especially if foreign- may have no idea of their rights and how potentially dangerous their property is. Flat roofs are not designed to support significant weight at all.

Which shop is it above btw? The grocery shop with the chicken rotaring in the window?

I would be interested to hear about what you have said above as I have had a similar issue, I will private message you if that's ok.

Many thanks

Sally

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service