Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

'NO' to Ending free bulky waste collections and closing the recycling centre

Haringey's current budget proposals will see the end of free bulky and green waste collections and the closure of one of the recycling centres.

These changes are likely to spell real trouble in this borough. It will inevitably lead to a significant increase in dumping with the poorest areas being hardest hit.

Research has shown that introducing a charge can lead to a drop in demand for collections of 50-75% on previous levels. Fly-tipping will increase as a result.

An alternative approach to introducing a collection charge would be to limit or reduce the number of items accepted for free, and/or the number of free collections allowed per year.

An alternative to closing the recycling centre would be to control who uses the centre and make a small charge as appropriate.

The cabinet meets to decide on this issue in two weeks' time. Whilst the consultation is now closed you can still email the cabinet member responsible (peray.ahmet@haringey.gov.uk) and copy your councillor.

Budget proposals: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/local-democracy/policies-and-strategies/...

Survey (CLOSED 22 JAN): http://www.haringey.gov.uk/survey/budget-2017-18

Tags for Forum Posts: rubbish, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 5979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read it, and clicked through the links as well, but at the time didn't have time to trawl through all the bumpf and then promptly forgot to go back. 

I read it. And submitted my consultation response off the back of it. Years ago when I lived in Hammersmith they had "community skip days". There was a schedule published of where skips could be found on certain days for anyone to dump anything They became a victim of their own success because they will full to overflowing within the first hour and then endless stuff was dumped around the skip and it then couldn't be loaded back onto lorries. They were abused by commercial outfits...small time builders etc.but I found it a great offering if they could only police it better.

We also had community skip days in Haringey  which were very popular. They gave people another opportunity to have a clear out and get rid of bulky stuff. They were also very good public relations for the Council and a very obvious way of demonstrating that the Council was on people's side and trying to do something positive about dumping and waste. We also had the Better Haringey campaign and a large programme of investing in new bins, enforcement etc. Sadly those days are gone. It is clear this budget cut has really angered a lot of people and I can see exactly why. 

I have had several letters about this and will be speaking to Peray Ahmet, who is the Cabinet member for the Environment about this and to suggest a programme of monitoring the impact and unintended consequences which might emerge.

Zena Brabazon
Cllr, Harringay Ward.

Your title didn't grab me at first. Then I happened to read it this morning, was grateful for it and thought it deserved some higher profile - so have it a go. So thank you.
I am furious about this proposal (and that's a thing I rarely am). Anyone who lived in the borough in the 80s and 90s will remember what an appalling mess it was environmentally. It's taken years to bring about even the small improvement we have now and it risks being undone in a single day. Waste collection and street cleaning is the one service that everyone living in this borough makes use of. I don't use children's services, education services and so on but I'm happy to contribute. In return keeping the borough clean seems a modest demand. As I said on another post on this issue, this is a false saving as the mountains of rubbish that will result will end up costing more than is saved as the approach will need to be ad hoc and reactive rather than pre planned with at least a measure of efficiency
Good grief Michael are you seriously telling me it was worse than it is now? Can't even imagine that. I've never known anywhere filthier then this borough.

Welcome to the Third World

So Park View will go, Western Road will stay, all proposed charges will likely go ahead.

"I am not aware of any proposal to close Western Road recycling centre.  My understanding was that the Park View Road one was under threat, and that the Western Road one would be the only one in the borough.

On the charge for bulky waste collections, we are having to make a number of very unpalatable budget decisions at the moment, owing to the cut in government funding to local authorities, and although unpleasant, when faced with the difficulties we have in funding Adult Social Care, Children’s social services and homelessness, we do have to present a balanced budget and this, although unpleasant, is one that I am afraid we probably have to do."

Where are you quoting from please?

The one near station road wood green is going nowhere it was built to support the new wood green develipement, i am sure and has just been built.

Yes, it's the Park View one they're wanting to close down.

Sorry, yes, this was the reply from my local Councillor. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service