Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Network Rail have formally announced on their website that Wightman Road bridge will reopen on Monday 5th September:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/wightman-road-bridge-r...

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Nick, do you have an alternative theory which is consistent with the available facts?

Could be a combination of factors. Different weather patterns. Newer vehicles. Changes to traffic light phasing and road layout. Wightman Road has had a near 100% reduction in traffic but the corresponding decrease in pollution isn't quite as dramatic.

Also there are only 2 data points from Green Lanes which only measured one type of pollutant.

You cannot definitively say that the closure has reduce pollution on Green Lanes as many other factors might not have been equal.

Traffic is perceptibly worse on Green Lanes and Turnpike Lane. If it were not, people wouldn't be complaining so loudly about the closure as their journeys wouldn't be so badly affected.

Sounds like you're clutching at straws Nick.

Explanations of why Wightman has not seen 100% reduction in pollution are given in the linked thread by the way.

No need to clutch at anything.

The council, who are impartial, have recognised that Wightman Road is vital to traffic flow in the area. Partisanship divides ladder and non-ladder residents and prevents either side from being objective.

Most people would still want the road reopened even with slightly increased pollution. We are moving toward greener and eventually electric vehicles, so this isn't a really valid argument for closing a road.

The council are NOT impartial. They want to pedestrianise Green Lanes.

The reduction of the speed limit to 20mph is probably also a factor. I think the reduction in pollution levels is pretty meagre. I was expecting there to be more of a difference.

Antoinette, it just shows that the pollution we suffer locally is not all produced locally. Hong Kong suffers from massive amounts of pollution generated in mainland China.

I was expecting more than 30% too but I was also expecting it to increase on Turnpike Lane and Green Lanes, not decrease by the same as the rest of the ladder. It adds credence to the claim that 90% of the traffic just disappeared from the borough completely.

One thing that came up in the Air Pollution thread was resident only bollards, which is what they have on the Gardens.  This seems to be a decent solution that could leave everyone happy(ish).

1. Cuts the rat run of Wightman and Ladder Roads.

2. Allows residents of the area to still use those roads removing that traffic from Green Lanes and placing it back onto Wightman which should reduce delays for residents.

3. Hopefully maintain the amount of reduction seen in air pollution across Wightman/Green Lanes.

The costs don't seem bad at all, apparently the Gardens cost £50k plus ~2.5k per year to run according to the FOI request.  This would maybe put use of these bollards for car users @ ~ £30 per year.

Unless I'm missing something here, isn't this a win for all concerned?

It depends who is classed as a resident and who are classed as rat runners. I consider myself local Harringay traffic but I don't live on the ladder so others might consider me a rat runner.

I would expect it would be residents of the Ladder roads, Wightman road and (parts of) Green Lanes.  I guess if you can get a parking permit for that area, you would have access.  

Looking at what they did for the Gardens it appears to only be residents of the actual roads rather than people in the surrounding area. 

I have a GL parking permit so I can park on the Ladder Roads, but I can also park on the Gardens Roads and I'm not allowed a key/fob/thing for the gardens bollards.

So bollards on the ladder roads aren't a win for all concerned, IMHO.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service