Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Has anyone else driven behind Wood Green Shopping City to be met with a speed hump only the height of Kilimanjaro?

This is getting ridiculous. Not only is it that high but they have also narrowed the turning. This is getting ridiculous.

Views: 1328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live near there & cross the road here a lot. This is a 20mph zone but drivers regularly sped at 30/40 round this corner frightening people using the pedestrian crossing there. Locals' garden walls, and street planters there, have been crashed into by speeding drivers. You may consider it ridiculous but I welcome the now two pedestrian crossings, the raised table, and the planters that narrow the road. They are excellent improvements and were made in consultation with local residents. I also drive and find this corner no burden at all at 20mph.

Also owning a car, I was initially cynical about 20 mph zones, now I am a convert. It seems to have helped quell the manic driving we often witness in the borough, especially by those with a low standard of driving skills behind the steering-wheels of high-end German cars. 

Carrying on from a previous debate about driving standards, one 'barometer' of skill levels amongst other practises is the ability or incentive to use the indicators.

I walk, run and cycle and I'm always pointing out (helpfully I hope) to drivers that their indicators appear to be broken. There are a lot of bulbs that need replacing in this borough!

Yesterday afternoon a car passed my house at what seemed like 40-50 mph and hit the speed bump with a rather satisfying crunch.  No doubt they will blame the speed hump.

No, 20mph down that road is more than fine, but narrowing the road to the extent they have and having a speed hump which can stop a tank in its tracks is ridiculous. That particular speed hump/Zebra crossing should not have been placed smack bang on a corner, it should either have been placed further down the road or opposite Iceland.

I'll have to take a look down there. Much to the anathema of certain drivers that they can't now use our roads as improvised race-tracks, they relieve their frustration by speeding between the humps and then braking hard (pointless and idiotic, but such is their logic). I gather the corner hump is to help stop the demolition of garden walls by such actions. 

View of ramp onto raised pedestrian crossing from Hornsey Park Road, with damaged planter in foreground (showing temporary & failing repairs by locals)

But you cant blame say one idiot for a smashed planter to then in turn introduce this measure. Even with a measure in place like this you will no doubt find some moron on the pavement regardless of this new measure introduced.

Hi C, did you read my response above?  You'll probably be disappointed to discover there is another pedestrian crossing coming imminently, just down the road outside the new pocket park on Hornsey Park Road. Why? Because parents taking their children to the playground are sick of speeding drivers while trying to cross the road, and locals demanded the council spent the money given by the new development under the Section 106 provisions on the crossing.

hahaha, I'm all for safety, believe you me. However personally I feel that the council has gone beyond what is required. The council and Mr Sadiq Khan have taken the mickey and are making London undriveable. 

After a few years of closure or single lane working, the diversionary route of Clarendon Rd/Mary Neuner Rd/Western Rd is once again freely available to those with a fear of heights...

;o)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service