Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Licensing Committee has granted permission for a premises licence for Betfred (next to the Post Office). One slender hope remains in the form of a possible refusal from the Planning Inspectorate for planning permission, whose decision is still awaited, but with the licence now granted, the scales are tipped further against us.

What all this means, which of course we already knew, is that it is impossible to prevent an unlimited number of betting shops opening in our community.

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting shops, gambling, green lanes

Views: 1191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings, but I learnt today that the Planning Inspectorate allowed the appeal regarding 513 Green Lanes, where Betfred have obtained a bookies license.

It seems to have taken along time for us to be notified, and as yet I, as one of many objectors, have not received an official notification, but as a result of hearsay, checked the PI website, only to be horrified that the decision was taken on February 24, 2010, 2 & half weeks ago; coincidently, the same day that David Lammy's article appeared in the Evening Standard. Am I paraonoid, or has a curtain of silence descended - surely LBH were notified at least.

(The decision in full is available here, where it can be downloaded as a 'read only' document. I can't attach it unfortunately. The procedure is a bit longwinded I'm afraid, but click on the "decision" highlighted in blue, and follow the prompts. Eventually you will be presented with a .pdf file that can be downloaded.)
There seems to be a lack of transparency about the ways things were handled if the decision was several weeks ago and no-one was notified. This is terrible. LBH surely must have been notified! OK, so we can now have a bigger choice of where to lose our money on a flutter but less choice about where we do anything else. I liked it when the Nationwide was there, so handy. When I go to the Wood green branch, I am always in there for ages due to queues.
very depressing all round but thanks for letting us know.
Decision attached.
Attachments:
Thanks Hugh
Crap crap crap crap. I'm moving. As soon as I can afford it. Is that what they want? Not me specifically, but people like me, who spend money in the local area and generally behave myself..? Surely, more people would want to leave - this is turning our bit of road in to a crime-infested slum. Lovely.
This is how I feel.... just walking down the road sometime is just horrible. And forget wood green! Gangs of men hanging around outside as well as inside the betting shops. sustainable communities? We are being pulled apart.
I'm moving to Hackney
It's worse there. That's why they've sponsored a bid under the Sustainable Communities Act to limit the spread of bookies.
I am moving to India then :)
The Isle of Wight is a bit nearer. Ok they have bookies but not so many. And that bit of water between there and the mainland makes a difference somehow.
There are really quite a lot of of people very upset about having another bookie opening up on greenlanes. may I suggest we have a demonstration on thier opening day. may I also suggest that the office of David Lammy help arrange this. I rekon we could get at least 100 of us outside. We could really spoil thier grand opening. If we let the press know It may even get on/in the news? waddya think?
Received letter update from David Lammy today. To summarise;

1. He has written to Minister for Sport, Gerry Sutcliffe MP, 'who is responsible for betting shop licensing, detailing our concerns about betting shop clustering in Haringey.'
2. Raised awareness via Evening Standard article (already highlighted on HOL) & mentioned campaign on Radio 5Live (10th March).
3. People from Ealing & Wembley have contacted his office about the 'campaign' and wish to be a part of it.
4. Contacted several betting firms & had detailed correspondence with William Hill. Members of the public can reply to this letter via Lammy's website.

Will forward a copy of Minister for Sport's letter once received.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service