Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Meeting at Stroud Green & Harringay Library About Future of Library Services-CANCELLED

There is a  meeting this weekend with  John Morris,  the Council's Head of Leisure Services,  about library services at Stroud Green & Harringay Library and more widely across the borough.

Mr Morris will provide an update on the Council's thinking on library services and then be available to take questions.

A spokesperson for the 'Friends' of the library said "It is vital that as many people as possible come to the meeting and show their support for this library".

3:00pm, Saturday 15th June 2013

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds sinister.

Please note that this meeting has been cancelled due to Mr Morris being double booked on this date. 

Shame John Morris has had to cancel.

I was thinking of popping along to listen to this. It would have been so nice - as a councillor - to have had the benefit of his thoughts on the future of Haringey's Library Service. It might even have been a quicker way to catch a glimpse of what's happening, than putting in Freedom of Information Act requests.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor 349 days to go)

Yes; I will attend the/any re-scheduled meeting.

Alan, I'm sure you're not counting each day to your retirement as councillor. However, I'm equally sure that you must look forward to the day when you can speak out as you believe, freely and forthrightly, unfettered by party politics and the constraints of local government.

That day arrived many years ago, Clive. Except with me it's not simply what I "believe", but what to the best of my current knowledge is accurate, balanced and truthful.

And as I have often suggested to you, it sometimes means doing things we find uncomfortable or even unpleasant. Like listening to and reading and reflecting on ideas and facts which don't fit our existing view. And acknowledging when we get something wrong. 

That's a tall order, of course. But you have to try. I very much liked a comment by Simon Schama on the radio recently. He said historians need to flee from falsehood.

I think everyone does. Even politicians. That we should try to avoid our fate in e.e.cummings' poem. 

• a politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service