Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Mayor's plans revive spectre of Wood Green traffic being diverted down Wightman Road

Those of you who've been around on the site for a while will remember when eagle-eyed Paul Jenkins spotted some grit in the ointment of the Wood Green Town Plan. He spotted that the Council were planning to close Wood Green High Road to all traffic but buses. This would have seen all traffic diverted down Wightman.

A successful campaign orchestrated by this site saw that off..............or so we thought.

A recent article in the Hornsey & Crouch End Journal that I just spotted on the HoL Newswire raises the possibility of the plan being back in play.

Fume clogged streets could be a thing of the past if cars are permanently banned in Wood Green under ambitious plans to create a "town centre of the future". The area is one of 12 earmarked by Transport for London to potentially benefit from a new network of bus and bike routes - by banning cars.

So, here we are again. How come? If it was dropped by the Council, has it really been revived without any input from them? What's going on here?

According to the Journal, the plans are at a very early stage, with a public consultation running until January. It will be finalised in April 2012. So, if we want to have some influence over how this'll impact our area (positively or negatively), we'd better have our say!

Can anyone see the relevant bit in the plan?

PS: This later discussion also has some comments about this issue, but has since been closed by site Admin.

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, mayor, shaping london, tfl, traffic, wood green spd

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If we were able to charge for driving through our borough then perhaps people might leave their cars at home more often.
Yes Hugh has it there will be no new money for new infrastructure and it is already inadequate. The HIgh Road traffic will be displaced down Hornsey Park Road and along Noel Park without a doubt. A pedestrian free high road means a congested area more than it is now but with no improvement to the shopping offer or viability.

Living on HPR, it took me around 5 minutes to even pull out of my space to get on the road and then I was stuck for 10 minutes in traffic. I don't live very far (100 or so metres) from the junction. Even with the new road which could offer some improvement, the traffic stacks at each end, a bit like the inadequate car park exit routes by sainsburys at manor house!
Hi guys, did anyone attend the consultation road show that the GLA held at Wood Green Library on 2 November?

No, me either... HOWEVER, there is one being held at the GLA on 7 December. It would be worth attending and making some of these views known. Also, a tactful letter to the Mayor on this issue, petition etc probably wouldn't go amiss.

There definitely won't be any cash to build a relief road. And I'm not so sure that taking the car traffic off Wood Green High Road would make much of a difference to the area as it's already dominated by bus traffic. Or at least that's how it seems when I'm there.
Tfl have said that they want to reduce bus journey times through Wood Green High Road and this may be the reason for the proposal. However, reduced journey times will mean the buses will move faster through the milling crowds.

At the moment. the drivers of the slowly-moving buses are very tolerant of people crossing from one side to the other and generally give way. If, however, they are moving faster, shoppers are going to be killed or injured.
Rachel, can you post the 7/12road show as an event. I can't find it through Google. Ta.
As some one who lives the back of Wood Green high Road
Noel Park Estate
Most Car's Rat Run around the High Road
As most times it is long ques of Buses ......... In the High Road

Not helped by bringing All the Traffic into High road - By Civic Centre
From White Hart Lane area

Joy's of a Local Authority and a London Mayoral Team playing with traffic
To follow up Rachel's suggestions for letting the Mayor know how you feel, there is an online form which invites feedback on the plan here, emails and postal addresses are here
See this event - a London-wide event for civic groups wanting to respond
Thinking about this issue a bit more - I suspect it might be the work of the TfL 'Surface Transport' or Bus team. They're always quite keen to speed up their services and as discussed there are a lot of busses that go through Wood Green High Road.

I wonder what the Wood Green town centre management people think of this proposal. I suspect they'd be in opposition to it...

John M- interesting idea RE: localised congestion charging. :)
I'd be interested to find out the proportion of private vehicle that go through Wood Green as oppossed to TO Wood Green. Maybe it's about giving those going shopping an alternative to driving there. Park and ride springs to mind, no idea if it's very sucessful where it's used or even where they could all park!
As stated in my Earlier post - Several years ago
Highways Diverted - Traffic away from White Hart Lane
Into the High Road

Coming out into the High Road Just above Civic Centre

Which backs traffic up

Putting more preasure on the High Road

Not forget that many come into Wood Green for the Shopping City

And come Via High Road into Gladstone Avenue to Access the Car Parks

I have lived in Wood Green for 60 Years

Well Before Shopping City was thought of or Built

I already have to put up with Parking Controls

Which are made a joke of by Disabled Badge Holders

Many I have seen close road down by Bad Parking on Corners

Yet Funny how the majority seem able to spend long time away from vehicles and come back
Loaded with Shopping Bags - But not able to use available Parking spaces - without causing traffic problems

There are No easy Answers -

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service