Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Allons enfants de Harringay,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !

This week's Area Assembly is the first under its new chair, Cllr Zena Brabazon.

Zena wants more resident involvement so she's handing the floor over to the residents.

Liz has been asked to have first bash and is leading a session on rubbish issues.

Surely it's worth coming just for that. It's just down the road on Green Lanes - full details here.

Tags for Forum Posts: area assembly, area forum, new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 1783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Liz, you have done really well.  Thank you for finding the time to do this! 

Was there any discussion at this meeting about continuing to educate people about what things can and can't be recycled in order to get them to recycle more?

I know we all got a leaflet through the door and I know there's a few issues here - but it seems like there's a lot of black wheelie bins round my way that are overflowing with stuff that should be recycled and a lot of confused people asking why all their garbage hasn't been collected.

Hi Justin

Yes, that was a very big area of debate at the meeting and even the 'everything in the garden is rosy' brigade suggested that more can and should be done to talk to people about what they can recycle. It was agreed that leaflets were not enough and that face to face was a key factor in getting people to change their waste disposal habits.

There is also the issue of ongoing engagement, as even if you talk to a household in July, by December a whole new set of people in the same house may not understand the arrangements. This is where letting agents could be really valuable in handing over that information at the same time as they give out keys to tenants. In the same way, estate agents can hand a pack about recycling to house buyers if they are new to Haringey. 

". . . estate agents can hand a pack about recycling to house buyers if they are new to Haringey."

They could indeed! And Castles - a local estate agent - made just this offer. Which I discussed with them and passed on to Haringey Environment Department. I may be wrong, but as far as I know, there was no practical outcome.

Thanks Liz,

That sounds positive and I think real-estate agents giving recycling - and other important local - info to prospective buyers/tenants is a good idea.

I know it's slightly outside Harringay and the HoL area - but I've recently moved out of N4 (on a street where most of my neighbours had recycling sussed) and into N22 (to a street where there is a lot more waste left lying about). I've noticed that 'Homes For Haringey' maintain a few houses on my street - since they already do a lot of face to face with the tenants - maybe they'd be a good way to get info across to another section of the community.

I'd also assume that someone checks on Veolia's service - i.e. "Have they been collecting the rubbish from your street"? Can't see why it would be that difficult to organise a door knock survey with "Do you understand what can and can't be recycled"? or similar.

Just suggestions - I'm glad this point was at least discussed. Thanks.

I am sure some people are confused, but unfortunately there are also a lot of people who simply do not care - about recycling and about their immediate environment.  Got so depressed coming down the road after work this evening after the recycling had been collected today.  We pay huge amounts of council tax which comes out of post-tax earnings and we are now expected to live with bins and bags everywhere and normal refuse bins overflowing and stinking and attracting vermin - yuck.  Its not even hot and we now have another week to go before those bins get emptied.  It is not right.  And people still vote for this incompetent lot to run our council.  How can we get some press coverage on this?  Haringey council only ever admit mistakes following bad press - it seem they subscribe to bad press being better than no press.  Can you withhold some of your council tax for not getting the services you are being charged for?

I agree D66. There is a distinct smell of smelly rubbish hanging in the air which we didn't get before and a general air of scruffiness about many front gardens. The issue of effect on the street scene was not one that the incumbents (with notable exceptions) seemed interested in taking up. It's almost like they never walk around the streets and see and smell the neighbourhood...

I very much doubt they do - probably thinking that it is not in their backyard so no need to worry.  You are fine on a road which doesn't have many HMOs.

Have you seen Haringey People's take on this? We are "the latest beneficiaries of the improved service". Apparently.

I haven't received it but would love to know how they can possibly argue that the service is improved when they have reduced it.  I think these guys need to come out of their offices and take a walk in the real world.  A 15 minute walk from my house to Woodgreen today made me want to be sick with the number of overflowing stinky bins and front "gardens".  I bet you they will be having a clear up along the route of the Olympic flame before it arrives, but maybe a few journalists should be encouraged to have a little walk around Haringey while they are here....  Haringey council shows no respect for the local community but wants young people to stop rioting and feel part of the community.  So okay for Haringey council to mess up our local environment but not for others.  A case of do as I say rather than do as I do which any parent knows does not work - you have to lead by example.

I have a couple of friends coming over this afternoon and I'm ashamed that they will see the slum we live in now.

Our " normal " bins  were not emptied last Thursday and have been overflowing all week.

If I wanted to, how could I hope to sell my flat ?: prospective buyers wouldn't even ring the doorbell.

We should all go ound and dump our bags in Councillor Canver's front garden because, according to her, there isn't a problem.

This is a very important point John. By effectively turning people's front gardens into wheelie bin depots and then failing to even keep to emptying schedules, the chances of people wanting to buy houses or even move into the area become slim. Here is a picture of St Margaret's Avenue with small family houses. This was taken just after collection so heaven knows what it looks like just before collection.

Anyone wanting to sell their house is unlikely to find a family buyer leaving them the option of selling to a buy to let landlord unconcerned by outward appearances or to be stuck there. It's not as though we haven't had enough programmes about how to sell your house which stress 'kerb appeal'. Who is going to move into a street full of bins even if they can bear the smell of manky bins?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service