Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As part of our use of HoL in the 2010 elections, we're upload and asking other people to upload copies of any local party political promotional material they come across. There are parts of three wards in Harringay:

Harringay (all)
St Ann's (part)
Seven Sisters (part)

Material from all three is welcome.

The aim is help to keep track of what each candidate/party has on offer. We'll also be able to remind those elected of what they said this Spring. 

There is one thread for each of the parties.

If you're not too sure about how to add pictures to the thread, see our walk through of how to do it here.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local elections, Party Promotional material May 2010

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nora, why was it thought necessary to tell the Volk that the council was not paying for this stuff to be delivered? Why might they be in danger of thinking the council was paying? Is there some other publication that's gone around in the past – paid for out of general taxation but which favours the majority group – that might lead people to think that?

(not insulted. just bemused)
Latest offering from Local Labour (click & click again to read):

Two more offerings from today (remember to click & click again to view):

I notice the strap-line is 'One Borough, One Future'.

Reference is then made to property development in a different Borough (!).

Of course, if we were to concentrate our attention on one Borough and one council (Haringey), we would find a number of developments that have been more controversial than this one is ever likely to be. Wards Corner (Seven Sisters) being the most obvious example.

If the Grade II listing refers to Finsbury Park (i.e. the green park itself) then this has received scant attention from Haringey Council in the past. The reason is that it is adjacent to two other Boroughs (Hackney and Islington). Any LBH spending would partly benefit the neighbours. The improvements to the Park owe little to LBH and mostly to extra-Haringey organisations like the National Lottery.
Just to give a bot more information on how to respond.

For parents and carers and school employees, ideas for school buildings and improvements, what could be done to bring buildings up to date?, could extended schools help you, can you become more involved in your child’s education through family learning? How could the extra funding be spent on resources for the school? Or trips to museums, art galleries, nature reserves, zoos, parks? Could their learning be enhanced by extra activities?

As a pupil in your school, you may wish to think about what the extra money could bring? It could mean more school trips, new books, new equipment for play, improving the school garden or play area, more teachers to come in and teach art, fun science and music? Think about how it might affect your chance to do something more or different?

As a member of the voluntary sector organisation, business community, how would this improve your area? Consider an improved school environment, or after school clubs that provide additional learning opportunities?

I hope you will fill this. More than happy to send the word version.
This one was dropped through my letterbox on behalf of David Lammy, Parliamentary candidate, but no doubt also has an eye to the local vote. So I'm adding it here (click & click again to read):

Labour offering this week (click & click again):

Labour's offering today. Disappointed that "pledges for our neighbourhood" are a poor match for the neighbourhood's oft expressed concerns. I'm assuming this is the fault of Haringey Labour central office, but would like to see the error corrected if that was the case:

This does seem a bit of a cut and paste job. Fair enough to mention Borough wide concerns on one side but on the Harringay focused side, the little graphic should surely have made promise pertaining to ward concerns like ...er...traffic (we did have a whole Area Assembly devoted to the topic for gawds sake)

I don't know why I felt a little irritated about this one. Maybe its rather Fairy Godmother tone which sort of omits to acknowledge how much residents (and indeed opposition parties) had to do to get them to take action; Wightman Road being a case in point.
Also (and this may be a picky point too far) but to my mind 'secured' funding implies active lobbying whereas the money for Railway Fields was given to Haringey as one of the 10 most deprived boroughs by a central government fund. Credit due, admittedly. to Labour National policies on Early Years and Play that have resulted in Sure Start centres and better play facilities but to my mind these are national achievements, not the work of the 'local Labour team' (is that the sound of hair splitting?)
In last night:

..........and the last lot here too:

ELECTION material often has (unconscious) ironical aspects, but this one perhaps more than most. There appears a claim that "LibDem councils fail to protect the most vulnerable" and millimetres alongside to the right appears the name "ADAMOU, Gina".

It was this Councillor who, as the then Lead Member for Social Services (and responsible for the Children Services), was criticised in 2003 in Lord Laming's Public Enquiry into the death of Victoria Climbie. I would have thought that Victoria, being on the Child Protection Register, might have counted as being amongst the most vulnerable.

People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service