Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just seen two heavily laden Jewsons lorries driving down Burgoyne Road at 750am.

I understood that these lorries weren't meant to come down the Ladder streets, due to the weight they carry, and the impact on the judder bars and houses (does anyone else's house shake when they go past?)

I recall a forum about this a while ago, but if anyone has any ideas about who to complain directly to in the Council, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, lorries

Views: 3556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes and can we please make sure we're all on message with this - we can't ban Jewsons from using Wightman or any streets - what I want is sensible, slow driving over speed humps and down residential streets.  If they have to use our roads, its better that they do so slowly.

Bec, we absolutely can ban them. They are breaking the law. The question is, do we want to? I would say no, not if they're going to drive nicely.

You play it your way but please don't let them think that they're not breaking the law. Even the truck drivers know this, see here.

John i'd love to see your legal advice on banning them, especially when they've been there for years.

What I understand that Bec was asking for is for the drivers to drive more responsibly over the speed bumps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess two of the options for solving this are:

1. Work together to agree a specific request to Jewsons.

2. Hope that Jewsons will be keeping an eye on this thread and will see that displacement isn't a solution and that what is needed is more responsible driving.

What we can't do, in my view, is to suggest that individuals shouldn't seek to resolve issues they have. Even where there are very inclusive, residents' associations can't deal with every issue.

We can ask that people don't simply seek to solve their local problems by shoving them over to their neighbours and bugger the consequences. In my view, Bec's behaviour in this respect seems to have been exemplary.

OK, everyone got stuck into Burgoyne Bec because Jewsons suggested using other roads. It was a bit of "shoot the messenger". I might have been involved in it myself were it not for the case that I am the worst offender when it comes to having HGV traffic moved from my road to someone else's. I thought I was so clever hassling the council about their OnTime parking contraventions against the 7.5t limit and getting them to stop coming down Lausanne Rd, only to find with dismay, that they just use Raleigh Rd instead.

I personally think the best solution is for the "local business" which is Jewsons to just show a little more respect to residents and drive bloody slowly down whatever roads they're using. You should not be able to hear them coming, let alone feel the jolt as they hit the speedbump outside your house.

If they're not going to do that then we can force them to go all the way around to Turnpike Lane and down Wightman, which is the only road they're legally allowed onto. All this talk of using other ladder roads is to distract us from the main issue which is not only are they not allowed to use the roads they're using, they're being downright bloody rude about it sometimes.

I think there were only two posts that had a go at Bec. I was amused, as actually naming other roads Jewson's were considering moving to is a like putting a stick into a wasps' nest. I realise it was not done intentionally.

Thanks guys. Just seen your responses and (sort of) apologies.

I will continue to update on my discussions with Jewsons, and will continue to emphasise the "go slow" message combined with please use Wightman Road and the other trunk roads coming off of it, instead of our residential streets.

I was really hurt by how people used the forum to have a go - Jessica, John, Hob, OAE - please be assured that I have not encouraged Jewsons to use your roads at all. 

I honestly was not having a go. I admire the work you have done and the change of roads would not affect me. I just thought, "Oh no, this is going to upset a few people." Apologies if it was taken any other way. 

Thanks Jessica - don't worry, i've never advocated them going down other streets. I wouldn't wish our problems on anyone else, believe me. 

Wightman Rd is a residential street too. John and OAE live there.

Jewson has been in close liaison with Haringey Council regarding the use of Burgoyne Road.

The council has confirmed that there are currently no restrictions in place and that local businesses continue to have use of the road. After looking into alternatives, due to access and weight restrictions, Burgoyne Road is the only viable route for us to reach our Jewson site and continue trading. 

We have taken your concerns on board and have reiterated to our Jewson drivers that the vehicle speed limit is 20mph and when driving over speed humps - we have requested that speed be reduced even further.  Our vehicles have also been installed with Telematic systems and we will continue to monitor the speed of the vehicles using Burgoyne Road.

We would like to thank the residents that have brought this matter to our attention. We have enjoyed a long relationship supplying builders in the Harringay area and the local community in which we work is incredibly important to us.

Could I please have the name of the person at the council who said that there are currently no restrictions in place?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service