Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just seen two heavily laden Jewsons lorries driving down Burgoyne Road at 750am.

I understood that these lorries weren't meant to come down the Ladder streets, due to the weight they carry, and the impact on the judder bars and houses (does anyone else's house shake when they go past?)

I recall a forum about this a while ago, but if anyone has any ideas about who to complain directly to in the Council, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, lorries

Views: 3552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that - again, can you please email Jewsons this directly?  Unfortunately I have a day job - I didn't quite realise the can of worms this would open and I don't have time to manage all of this negative feedback! Teaches me for trying to help.

Bec, have you read any of the other 'hgv' tagged discussions? It was possible to look into the can of worms before opening it. Click here (if you have time).

I totally get the short pithy posts. Here's how you can help us: the official line has got to be that they are only allowed to use Wightman Rd and only from the Turnpike Lane end. If they want better access they will need our consent basically not to seek to prosecute them. They can get that by being a little more respectful towards their neighbours. If you push a line other than that, you are not helping anyone other than yourself.

Thanks John, I have learned a lot this week from reading through those posts. I agree that our consistent message must be: be considerate.  This can't degenerate into this route is better than that route.  I've read Bec's posts to Jewson on their facebook page, and this appears to be consistent with what she has said.  I know she has also directed them to this thread, so they will be aware of the concerns about displacement. 

As explained already - they can't use Endymion as they would have to cross the weak bridge which is unequivocally ( ie no question of " access " ) restricted to less than 7.5 T.

Thanks John. If you have any info you can send over to Jewsons (address is earlier in this thread) that would be useful to help them with their investigations

Dear all,

I'm going to pull out of managing this issue (other than dealing with my own complaint) because its a bit much for me to manage and i'm afraid i'll end up mis-representing your own very valid points.  Please feel free to contact Jewsons directly - they have been fantastic to deal with and i'm looking forward to talking to them further about my own issues on Burgoyne Road.  

Best,

Rebecca

1. Bec didn't suggest that the traffic be displaced. Jewson did. As per the discussion above the aim was to get Jewson to be more considerate (like at least one of their drivers is), and be sensible about the weight that their trucks carry down ladder roads, especially those with judder bars.  If one alternative is a road with a school (and I'm not suggesting that it should be), then considerate would obviously include avoiding those roads when there are likely to be children about.  But the key message as John has rightly said must be: be considerate.  At the moment they aren't.  

2. Even if displacement of traffic is a possibility, is your answer really 'I don't live on Burgoyne or Cavendish so why should I bother to engage with the problem'?'   As someone who has themselves recently started something from scratch and had success because of (a) your hard work and tenacity and (b) the support of the community, including on this forum, the benefits of standing together as a community should (I hope) be apparent to you.  We are stronger together. 

3. The time you have spent posting two messages to this thread probably took you longer than it would have taken to send a simple message to Jewson (instructions above) along the following lines:

"I am glad you are engaging with the Harringay community about the problems caused to some residents by your lorries.  The alternative routes that you suggest would be unsuitable because [insert your reasons].  However your suggestion regarding monitoring speeds and ensuring drivers are considerate in future is very welcome, and I hope this can resolve the problem without inconvenience to anybody else". 

Hey wooaaa guys. I think you need to back off Bec. She hasn't asked nor recommended that lorries should go down other roads. She's quite fairly tried to deal with a problem that's impacting on the quality of her life.

It was Jewsons who suggested moving lorries to other roads. Bec has been reaching out to try and find a solution, She clearly doesn't want other people inconvenienced.

I'm sorry, I had missed this post when writing my previous response, but I must say that I am disappointed.  It seems to boil down to: I'm all right, Jack.  Or, Bec should have just put up with the inconvenience of being woken up first thing in the morning when her house shakes, with cracking plaster, possible structural damage, because one of the possible outcomes of her pipping up about it would be that one day you may be inconvenienced by having to - heaven forfend - respond to a suggestion raised not by her, but by the offending company.  This might take a few minutes out of your life!  Again, when your neighbours on this forum have supported your hard work regarding the market, offered to deliver flyers for you etc, I would have thought community spirit may have been in greater supply at your end. 

Apologies if my post was too personal, I was trying to use the market to illustrate how great things can happen if the community supports one another.  On my reading of her post from last night, Bec pulled back from dealing with Jewson because of the sheer weight of negative comments which she received. 

As to what you can do, if you read up the thread, you will see the contact details, and my suggestion (which is what I am about to send) would be something along the lines of:

"I am glad you are engaging with the Harringay community about the problems caused to some residents by your lorries.  The alternative routes that you suggest would be unsuitable because [insert your reasons].  However your suggestion regarding monitoring speeds and ensuring drivers are considerate in future is very welcome, and I hope this can resolve the problem without inconvenience to anybody else". 

I really didn't think you had to be so diplomatic when

a.) They have not denied that they have never done this

b.) They are not AT ALL legally entitled to use Burgoyne, Cavendish or any road other than Wightman from the top end

c.) It is a £1000 fine for the driver AND the company, per incident

Given that the strict enforcement of the law in this case would severely curtail their business, I am very surprised to see them not offerring to bloody leaflet the streets and ask permission themselves! Goodness me people. This is not the Queen, it's a building supplies company. If they think they can just sic their lawyers onto us then they're wrong. 

I'm going to play bad cop with these people, everyone else feel free to play good cop. I want them banned from these roads and fined the maximum for their admitted past behaviour and for any future infringements. As for the rest of you, I suggest you ask them nicely to just drive in a civil and respectful manner. They are after all, neighbours too.

Thanks Jessica - that's very helpful - I think the issue has been 'bumped up' the chain because of the social media coverage, so that it is being handled at a more senior level.  Hopefully they will call you back and get the message that simply moving the problem onto another road is not the answer. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service