Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

With all the attention on the benefits and disbenefits of the current closure of Wightman Road , we haven’t yet spent much time thinking about what the future of Wightman Road might be. With both the current closure and traffic study, now is the ideal time for us to start that process.

I should perhaps begin by saying that I write in full knowledge of the problems caused by the current closure, including the significant impact on some businesses and  longer queues at some ‘pinch points’ especially at ‘rush hour’. I’m also very aware that there is more traffic on some roads such as Hornsey High Street, Green Lanes and Turnpike Lane as well as other roads further afield. Alleviating those problems needs to remain uppermost in our minds.

It seems like the most discussed longer-term solution to Wightman Road’s woes locally is permanent closure. Could limiting access, in the current way be the best solution to the danger, pollution and noise caused by the traffic in the block of residential roads made up of Wightman and the ladder roads?

I was one of those who previously thought this was impractical. But now I’m beginning to question this assumption. I’ve been taken aback by seeing and hearing how significant a difference it’s making to people lives; small children cycling to school, cyclists calling out to each about how lovely it is, Wightman Roaders being able to open their windows for the first time, kids skateboarding, hearing birdsong, walking to the station actually being pleasant.

The dangerous pollution levels along Wightman Rd which breach EU limits presumably have been eliminated, taking significant numbers of people including children out of real danger. As others have said this option could also create a pleasant and safe cycling, jogging and walking route, not just for residents of the immediate area, but for a wider group of people across Haringey and beyond.

The other reason for my change of heart is that as time goes on, the level of negative impact gives cause for hope that it may be possible to find good mitigating solutions for the traffic and pollution dispacement. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be done in the surrounding area to help buses flow or/and avoid traffic queues? Can anything be done about the pollution in Turnpike Lane and Green Lanes? What else would we need to think about?

If permanent closure is not the answer, it will be gut-wrenching just to go back to the old status quo and I think the Council will have a fierce fight on its hands if it wants to do that. So what other possible solutions are there that might both allow for an improved quality of life but allow some traffic flow to other Haringey residents? I’ve read elsewhere on HoL about the idea of road-pricing, or limiting access to HGVs. What could we do to drastically reduce cross London traffic rat-running along Wightman and the Ladder roads, yet still permit some access to more  local traffic?

Is permanent closure the only option or is there another way?

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge closure, wightman road

Views: 8378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Penny and Henry

I have never disagreed with that. I was simply pointing out that traffic in general has increased and that (by implication) we should all surely have known when we moved to the area that our roads would see more cars in time. I would in any event suggest that there should be a traffic plan for the whole of London and not just Harringay or even Haringey but I'm afraid I can't see it ever happening because too few politicians seem to care about such matters.

Yes, agreed ... wouldn't it be wonderful if politics did put such issues at the heart of their policies and talk to and work with each other cross boundary. To be honest I don't have the knowledge to know whether they do or don't. We can but hope that things will change for the better and work towards supporting change for the good for all of us!

And there is the problem Paulie.

Yes, there is more traffic. If that were all it could be tolerated. Sadly what has happened has been a successions of piecemeal interventions that have seen traffic that was previously shared equitably across various roads concentrated into an ever smaller number of roads to the point where residents have reached breaking point.

While I do not blame Hermitage, the Gardens and others for what they have managed to achieve, it has not always been achieved in an especially open or democratic manner, and sadly the interventions have benefited a select community to the detriment of another. There has certainly been no science or analysis behind it.

Why is there an expectation that those disadvantaged should meekly accept their fate? Tell me how that is democratic? Rosa Parks sat on a bus seat and refused to move because she felt an injustice was being done.

Also Paulie the real solution crosses borough boundaries. At the moment it's difficult to get any adminstration of any complexion to coordinate with or even care about their neighbouring authorities.
I can see a Wightman Road sit-down protest in September...!

Once again, I am not suggesting anyone should meekly accept his or her fate. I have also said more than once that I can see good arguments for re-opening Hermitage (and, for that matter, the Gardens too).

Then again no-one was and is interested in the appalling junction of Harringay Road and St Ann's Road where there is still no safe crossing. Anyway, like dear old Ronnie C, I digress..

The safe crossing points are perfectly valid, and you should make sure you raise them during the consultations for the Traffic Study!

I will and perhaps at the same time I can unveil my plan for two-way traffic at the Salisbury - not that anyone will look at it!

That is not as daft an idea as you may feel Paulie. It will certainly have a massive impact on Salisbury Road, Warham Road and Harringay Road.

I certainly will as I think it's an idea with legs. The poor souls who live on Salisbury Road have a wonderful view of the stationary 341 bus from their living rooms at the moment.

I'm well behind you on that one too Paulie. What council bright spark decided to make Salisbury Road a traffic-light corridor. Really feel for those residents, ridiculous, hope that road had a few traffic pollution monitors on it to illustrate the obvious!

That's kind of spooky...you were literally "behind me" on Salisbury Road about an hour ago... I waved but I don't think you recognised me!

Sorry! I didn't notice, was in a driving daze!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service