Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As May approaches, local hopefuls will be knocking on your door to try and get your vote.

This guide published in 2008 (if any bits have changed, let us know in the comments below) by Urban Forum seems like a useful primer as to what the council, on which they are all trying to represent you, actually does.

Additionally, when a candidate asks you what your concerns are, here's a quick reminder of what they realistically have the power to influence if they are elected, taken from the guide.

Also worth bearing in mind how council budgets work. Only a quarter of their money comes from council tax while the rest is allocated from central government or charges for local services. Business rates are not set by the council although they do receive the revenue

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Public health is now a council responsibility (since 2013). Things like reducing obesity, smoking, alcohol and awareness about things like the risk factors for things like diabetes and heart disease. And stuff like sexual health and encouraging people to be more active.

London boroughs are actually responsible for about 600 service areas. things like licensing and cemeteries. 

Finally its worth mentioning parks, given that Haringey have recently decided to rent out a large chunk of Finsbury Park to concert promoters for around two weeks at a time (up to five times a year). Ask your prospective council candidate what their view is on this!

Thanks Churros, I didn't know that. It explains the heavy and welcome promotion of cancer screening clinics recently by Haringey Council

Parks come under leisure and recreation from the above list, I think. I agree that the renting out of FP should be one of the topics that is discussed with candidates when they appear.

Interesting you post this Liz. I have noticed the heightened activity on all sides. I had a knock on the door several months back by some Labour guys, a councillor and some prospective councillors, I was asked what my concerns were and I shared them. While doing so the other three were taking pictures (of the broken wall next to the raised crossing outside the school), taking notes and taking an active interest & generally being busy.

The councillor I spoke to was encouraging and suggested he would get back to me on a few points, and 'start a dialogue'. Never heard another word.... Oh, and the wall remained broken for another 2 months.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service