Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How much is the allowance to be Chair of Area Assembly? Go on have a guess...

(See also What your Councillors Cost You)

Go on have a guess...£500?, £1,000?, £5,000?

Give up?

Well, I was slightly flabbergasted to discover that the Area Assembly chair is paid £7,896.
(see page 2 of the linked document)

Don't get me wrong, I think councillors should get allowances for travel, telephones etc and (if we are to encourage more women to be councillors) child care. I'm not against the idea that those who take on greater responsibility should be 'topped' up provided it can be demonstrated that we get value for money.

However, over 7 grand to chair a meeting every three months? I presume that the chair is expected to do slightly more than keep the trouble makers quiet (not that I can find a job description anywhere) but, if there is slightly more to it than being stern I'd like to know what it is and whether Harringay is getting value for money.

Tags for Forum Posts: area assembly, area forum, councillors' pay

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Hugh, for going to the heart of the matter.
four times two hour meetings - eight hours for eight grand. Value for money.
Seconded! good email Hugh, I await Gina's reply with interest.
Still no word from Gina or anyone else. I will follow up next week.
My email to Gina was sent almost three weeks ago. There has not even been an acknowledgement - which is pretty outrageous really. A letter questioning the local democratic processes goes unanswered. Is that perhaps an answer in itself?
Combined with the salary itself and apparently miniscule duties, sounds like one for the Journal/Advertiser etc. That should prompt a response.
Or shall we give them a bit more time to respond? I'd rather resolve it amicably.
Yes, Hugh, maybe post-festival but pre-next AA meeting.
Our patience is rewarded. Gina sent me a most comprehensive reply this morning. I thought the best place for it is the HoL wiki. So I've posted it on the Area Assembly page.
Good, though I suppose we knew most of it already. I notice the digits 7, 8, 9, 6 do not appear - but I guess she's worth it?
UPDATE: Part of the post above poses the question as to whether Harringay gets value for money, it has been brought to my attention that Harringay's Chair of AA, Gina Adamou neither claims nor receives the chair's allowance.
Well, let me grovellingly retract my previous post. Seems Gina is all the more worth it and more. I hope the allowance goes to a deserving charity and isn't lost in some Icelandic bank.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service