Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

First Capital Connect (FCC) and Network Rail are investing half a million pounds refurbishing Hornsey station to give passengers a brighter, more up-to-date station.

The work, which will last 12 weeks, begins in the week commencing 22 July and includes:

• refurbishment of the platform surfaces, both footbridges, Tottenham Lane main entrance, ticket office and booking hall
  • refurbishment of platform canopies
  • redecoration of all other locations;
  • installing new ticket office counters with audio induction loops for people who are hard of hearing
  • installing tactile paving along the edge of platforms and at the top and bottom of staircases to help people with visual impairments;
  • replacing the roof over the ticket hall;
  • installing brighter LED lighting across the entire station, including the two footbridges.

The work is being funded in part (£100,000) through money that Haringey Council secured as a condition for agreeing to the construction of a depot for new trains at nearby Coronation Sidings. The new trains will provide direct services from Finsbury Park to London Bridge, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and stations beyond.

Other funding has been supplied by Network Rail’s Renewal Fund (£300,000) and FCC’s maintenance budget (£100,000).

The work will necessitate the closure of the ticket office for two weeks from 12 August; however FCC intends to deploy staff with mobile machines to sell tickets to supplement the ticket machine.

Footbridge walkways, staircases and entrances will also be reduced in width at times during the project but will be reopened to their full width upon completion of the work.

Views: 1092

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An interesting twist in planning law has emerged from looking at the plans for South Tottenham / SoTo.

The proposed lift for the north platform is far too close to the housing at Stephenson House, the orange-coloured block of flats fronting onto the High Rd. The lift shaft at four storeys high would overlook the flats from just 5 metres away. The residents there and the RA challenged this, and we find that Network Rail proposals are not subject to normal planning laws - whatever they want, goes. There is no compulsory consultation, and no open meeting to discuss it. Hopefully they will revise the plans, we have a sneaky feeling they were using old maps which didn't show the flats (built c 2004).  But the principle of railway works being outwith accountability needs to be looked at more closely and if necessary made a political (ie not planning) issue.

It's planning application HGY/2013/1040 if you want to have a look.

Have a look at the plans Billy. We are NOT opposing this planning app., but as it stands it is just inhumane, it needs a rethink.  The plan even gets the drawings for the flats wrong, they have missed one floor, so it's not so obvious that the lift will be bang up against five bedrooms not four. It's not just the fact that they will lose all their privacy, there is also the noise "ground level, doors opening" every minute in the day and the nuisance from the building work.  Go and  look at the space. When the guy from LBH Planning came on a site visit he could immediately see the problem.

They were also remiss in their communications - none of the people who live there knew about this until I picked it up from the planning lists. Network Rail have now sent out the necessary letters. The freeholder, Peabody, is among those querying the plan now they know about it.  What is odd is that the normal planning process does not operate in this (or any railway) case. There is no chance to discuss it in an open meeting, and LBH's input is minimal.

I look forward to having lifts there for those suitcase days, and I'm sure I'll appreciate them all the more as my knees give out.

SoTo, and the whole of the Gospel Oak to Barking line, is getting busier week by week. Since the upgrade work a couple of years ago, and the increase in train frequency, user numbers have shot up - and the more it's used the more it gets used. So the numbers above are probably out of date. The line is also now up for electrification, with longer trains which will need longer platforms. See the BGORUG website for info and updates. 

Agreed about the Goblin popularity; the figures are probably out of date, but surely planners have to use whatever figures are available - and the 2011-12 ones were only published quite recently.

I live fairly near to South Tottenham, and am keen to see that station improved to help the area generally.

I don't know much about latent demand at Hornsey station, but some of the Heartlands residents would be nearer to there than to Alexandra Palace. Mind you, crossing Turnpike Lane in the rush hour can't be much fun!

Crossing Turnpike Lane isn't much fun.  The lights are terribly badly designed at the junction so it does take an age as a pedestrian to cross the many lanes of traffic.  Sadly nobody seems to be very bothered about this.  I am dreading my son having to do this crossing on his own once he starts secondary school next year.

The plans for SoTo are generally encouraging, they have taken back the cafe at La Fonda de Maria which was the old ticket office, and that will become the main entrance. Both platforms will have a lift, they have just plonked the one on the north side in the worst possible place for the people who live FIVE METRES away.  Hopefully they will/can just bring it westwards closer to the road and we can all be happy.  Whether it will all need to be dug up again when the electrification goes through and platforms are lengthened to serve longer trains than the two carriages at the mo, remains to be seen.

One item of interest in the latest BGORUG newsletter is the casual mention that they are going to replace the bridge over the High Road, in the three days after xmas.  Watch this space and elsewhere for the discussions about what to write on it....

Joanne McCartney may be able to assist about the proposals to build too close to the flats in South Tottenham, Pam. Over the years I've found Joanne to be an excellent London Assembly member and prompt in responding to constituents.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Thanks, I've already suggested this to the flat dwellers. Agree she's a proper working politician.

Pam, as you know the area extremely well for many years, and are clearly taking a close interest in this development, you might want to write to Joanne yourself and put her in the picture.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service