Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

First Capital Connect (FCC) and Network Rail are investing half a million pounds refurbishing Hornsey station to give passengers a brighter, more up-to-date station.

The work, which will last 12 weeks, begins in the week commencing 22 July and includes:

• refurbishment of the platform surfaces, both footbridges, Tottenham Lane main entrance, ticket office and booking hall
  • refurbishment of platform canopies
  • redecoration of all other locations;
  • installing new ticket office counters with audio induction loops for people who are hard of hearing
  • installing tactile paving along the edge of platforms and at the top and bottom of staircases to help people with visual impairments;
  • replacing the roof over the ticket hall;
  • installing brighter LED lighting across the entire station, including the two footbridges.

The work is being funded in part (£100,000) through money that Haringey Council secured as a condition for agreeing to the construction of a depot for new trains at nearby Coronation Sidings. The new trains will provide direct services from Finsbury Park to London Bridge, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and stations beyond.

Other funding has been supplied by Network Rail’s Renewal Fund (£300,000) and FCC’s maintenance budget (£100,000).

The work will necessitate the closure of the ticket office for two weeks from 12 August; however FCC intends to deploy staff with mobile machines to sell tickets to supplement the ticket machine.

Footbridge walkways, staircases and entrances will also be reduced in width at times during the project but will be reopened to their full width upon completion of the work.

Views: 1088

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's great news.

If only we could have lifts installed. Is anyone aware of any past campaigns to have them installed at Hornsey?

From my understanding one of the main criteria is footfall, and I guess Hornsey isn't the busiest of stations, however with it being an important link with the west of the borough, I feel it would benefit many non-train users as well.

There will also be a cycle channel/wheeling ramp installed, which means that you will be able to wheel your bike up a ramp on the side of the staircase, rather than carrying it up

Will the ramp be buggy friendly? Its such a bore having to go the long way round to Tottenham Lane rather than nipping over at Hornsey and I would catch the train here too if I get the buggy up there.

Big +1 from me on making this buggy friendly. Its so much nicer and shorter to go over the railway bridge here than all the way up to Turnpike Lane and under the railway tracks there. A lift would be fab but it could be as simple as just two rows of wheeling ramps with steps in the middle. 

I don't get the impression the wheeling ramp will be buggy friendly - just a single ramp on the side of the staircase.

We need lifts!

This sounds interesting. I hope that they add a few extra self-service ticket machines as part of the refurb. So much angst in rush hour when one person decides to pay their entire ticket in shrapnel and a queue of 10 builds up!

how much can a lift be? the council should have held out for dunooo, £30,000-£50,000 more. Being buggy/parent with young kids friendly and (finally)usable for disabled and people with difficulty walking and going up stairs would be, well, get the station into the late 20th century.

I have spent years hauling buggies and bikes up and down the stairs at the Hampden Road entrance.  These are very steep and tall so will they really add a ramp there?  Ally Pally has lifts and Hornsey Station is pretty busy and would be busier if access was improved.  As others have mentioned this is not only for access to trains but a walk way to cross the tracks avoiding the horror of walking next to the road under the railway bridge.

Actually checking this in more detail, we get a lick of paint and a possible ramp but no disabled/buggy access and our platforms will remain too short for some services.  Not exactly a good deal.

Great that its getting a refurb (though would have thought we could get a whole new station for half a mil, but what do I know) just wish we could have a few more trains stopping there... The weekend service is rubbish at the mo. sure it didn't used to be this bad.

... thought we could get a whole new station for half a mil ....

Maybe one made out of lego :)

South Tottenham on the Overground is also about to be refurbished, including the installation of lifts. Out of curiosity I just looked up the most recent available (2011-2012) passenger numbers for both stations. These are estimates, since counting passengers is not an exact science, though the numbers would make you think so. Source: Office of Rail Regulation.

South Tottenham:  Entries & exits total    657,598
Hornsey:               Entries & exits total 1,129,648

It does seem strange that if South Tottenham is worthy of having lifts, Hornsey is not.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service