Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This is a tricky forum post for me... I am a compassionate person (or at least I'd like to think so) but I do not want to have to encounter this supposedly homeless petson's little encampment on my journey to and from work every day. I suspect they are what I describe as "professional beggars". The little tin with a teddy and loose change are presumably there to encourage "donations" even when they are not physically there. I reported my concerns to the Council and whereas when I reported dumped rubbish or other routine issues, I got an almost instant acknowledgement I've yet to hear anything back from them. As far as I'm concerned, the Council should be putting him in appropriate temporary accommodation or, if he is indeed a professional beggar, moving him on.

Tags for Forum Posts: homelessness

Views: 6573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What happened to old-fashioned rent control? Regulated rents should perhaps be reconsidered as a way of stopping what I think of as property profiteering.
Maybe it would be useful to this debate to have a personal story about what it actually feels like to be homeless and on the street. When I first came to London as a 18 year old in 1977, I spent the three weeks sleeping rough in and around Victoria station. The things things that stick with me are that you become either invisible (people would look through me, over me or around me, but not at me) or too visible when you were moved on by the Police or abused by a people passing by. Strangely the overwhelming memory is of the utter boredom of those few weeks. Time crawls, nothing happens, your entire time is taken up with thoughts of where to kip down, where to get something to eat, where to find a toilet and where to wash. You are constantly tired because you only sleep for a few hours at a time. You feel constantly unwell.
What actually got me out of the situation was a kind Police officer who told me about a squatters advisory service up in Balls Pond Road and gave me the money to get the bus there. They got me in contact with a group who had just moved into a bulding in St John's Crescent in Brixton that had been eamarked for demotion for years. They took me in, I got myself sorted out and moved on.
That experience of living on the street lasted 3 weeks. I dossed down with blokes whose experience was of years of living like that.
At the time I thought of them as old men but looking back realise that they were in their twenties and thirties and were simply worn out by it. Most of them drank as much as they could lay their hands on. It really was the only to stop thinking about the complete hopelessness of that existence.

Let's stop all the sanctimonious denunciation of Antoinette and get back to the really important question - it's unacceptable that anybody should be living in the street so what can be done to help them into decent accommodation ?

I'm afraid that walking down and making " eye contact " with them isn't going to make them feel any warmer or less hungry.

Get on to your councillors and tell them how you feel and advise them that your vote next time depends on how they respond ( platitudes don't cut it )

Well said, John. 

Your council could go the way of Hackney: £1000 fines, which to a homeless person is peanuts. Luckily, Hackney reversed that stupid decision.

No Second Night Out (http://www.nosecondnightout.org.uk/) is an organisation that the public are encouraged to contact if a rough sleeper would like some help. They aim to provide a rapid response service to London's homeless population. There is even an online referral form: http://www.nosecondnightout.org.uk/rough-sleeper-referral-form/

putting aside the rights of wrongs of doing this and other moral considerations....

Isn't it illegal to, as Antoinette  says, essentially 'set up camp' on the street like that? But the police are passing him every day but not doing anything. How come?

What would you expect them to do? He's not harassing people or begging. He's homeless. Where would he go, what could they do? In a world where its perfectly legal for MPs and others to accept bribes to influence legislation, I know who MY enemy is.....

I'm just surprised they let him keep so much stuff on such a busy street. I guess in line with what Michael says below about 'causing an obstruction'

Strictly speaking, sleeping rough is illegal under the Vagrancy Act (of 1820 something or other) but if the person is not causing an obstruction the police are probably pragmatic about it. If they arrest someone they go into a police cell, go to court, get a fine they can't pay and are released and sleep rough again. If they move them they sleep rough somewhere else. The problem is never solved.

For people visiting this website who may not know the location.

Bed Room

Could be almost anywhere

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service