Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have again asked for some enforcement action by the council against HGVs using Wightman Road and the ladder roads.

I am pleased to say that I have just had an email from the Parking Infrastructure Manager to say that they will be carrying out some enforcement this week between 7am and 8.30am.

Lets hope it starts to send a message to the companies that they lorries belong to.

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, traffic

Views: 8664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I be interested

I'd be interested, but unfortunately I 'm not around for the next 3 weeks.

Monday or Wednesday evening are good for me.

Hi all,

I am happy to defer a meeting until early May if that means we can get more people together.

I'm just off to work.  I will start another thread tonight or tomorrow to start trying to arrange a meeting.

Daniel.

Hi,

I have started a new thread to try and organise a meeting in May.

The link is here.

Daniel.

Great idea to organise a meeting Daniel.  I would suggest inviting Cllr Nilgun Canver who is the cabinet member responsible, Tony Kennedy from the Highways Dept at the council and perhaps the manager at Jewsons, who, when I spoke to him did seem keen to resolve the issue.

I passed to Highways the idea of narrowing Wightman at both ends in the form shown earlier in this thread (Benham Road Islington) but as expected there was a raft of reasons why this isn't feasible.  Not least that it would interfere with Jewson's business!!!  Making Wightman inaccessible to large vehicles would have a knock on effect on the ladder roads.  This particular example wouldn't hinder the route of emergency vehicles either.

In response to that I have challenged Highways to come back to me with a solution that is workable - there are enough residents who are calling for a solution to this issue that they should be doing everything they can to do just that.

If we reduce the numbers of HGVs which are using our roads illegally then it would have a knock on effect on how much the speed humps affect residents.

The 20mph limit on all the ladder roads has to be self-enforcing, which means that apart from the odd police session with the speed gun, it has to work without any further cost.  Speed humps are the only way this can be achieved.  They are a nuisance and do cause problems for residents but its a trade off for having speeds kept low (and I know isn't always the case but for the most part it works).

I am not sure, Karen, why you say that humps are the only way this can be achieved.

Does anyone know a traffic engineer?

I am not an expert on this matters and am guided somewhat by the traffic engineers at the council and this is their view as to the most cost effective way of slowing the traffic.  I agreed it is not ideal, isn't hugely effective and annoys a lot of people but the traffic is slower than it was - I regularly saw people driving past my house on Wightman at 40, 50 and once probably 60mph!

If someone can suggest a proven, cost effective way of reducing the speed then I would  be delighted to take it back to the council for them to look at further.

Traffic lights that go red when someone approaches exceeding the speed limit.

It doesn't work. I have a tape shot on Wightman Road showing that app 50% of the vehicles passing the SID ( Speed Indicating device ) are exceeding 20 mph.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service