Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have been chasing up progress on HGV enforcement in Harringay this week and am delighted to let you know that the council have now placed an order for an unattended CCTV camera unit that will be deployed in the first instance to capture over weight vehicles on Wightman Road.  The council are looking to have this fully deployed and operational by 17th March 2014.  I have made further enquiries as to its location.

There continues to be ongoing enforcement using the mobile camera car but a static camera will make a real difference.  If we can reduce the amount of HGV traffic on Wightman Road then I am convinced it will reduce it on the ladder roads too.

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t

Views: 1085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, on the extreme left (and hidden) of a 3-lane junction where the driver is in the segregated right-hand turning lane. Chances of seeing that are zero. I'd second Justin's suggestion.

Thanks Karen, it does

Karen, that's good news. Thanks and well done.  It won't solve the problem as well as a width restriction would but is a great step forward.

To those that are concerned. A static camera could not be used for speed enforcement (mores the pity) for a number of reasons.

Are there still signs for HGV restrictions on Wightman, where have they gone?

I tell you the other road to be vigilant is ST.ANNES road, It has become increasingly  busy esp lately with masssive HGVs using it as a short cut between stamford hill to finsbury park cutting through endomyion road

It is such a narrow road with all the parked cars and then with these absolutely massive HGVs going through- its a disaster

I had a few questions on this and have just received the following email response from Gary Weston:

1. The use of unattended CCTV enforcement cameras has come about following the use of mobile CCTV vehicles which whilst achieving short term compliance does not address the problem on a long term basis. It has been a combination of resident, ward councillor and officer involvement.

2. We are aiming to have the camera installed and operational by 17th March.

3. It is semi permanent and there will be an alternative location further along Wightman Road to enable the capture of contraventions from both directions of travel.

4. I cannot confirm the locations at this time, as a final site check by our contractor is required. However it will be broadly in the area where our mobile CCTV vehicle currently parks to carry out enforcement.

5. Penalty Notices will be issued to oversize vehicles who do not meet the access provision that also exists with this restriction. Those company’s with business on the ladder will need to notify us after receiving a penalty notice without appropriate supporting evidence. Company’s such as Jewsons and the nearby Steel fabricators will go onto an exemption list, given they use the road every day.

I trust this helps, however if you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Gary Weston

Parking Infrastructure Manager

Haringey Council

River Park House, 225 High Road, London N22 8HQ

T. 020 8489 1709

gary.weston@haringey.gov.uk

The fact that Jewson's use the road every day does not entitle them to it! Just because you are getting away with a crime does not mean you are entitled to do it (just look at Jimmy Saville et al). They are allowed to use Wightman Rd and ONLY Wightman Rd unless they have a delivery on the ladder, because that is the road their business is on. That is the law, Gary.

I gave Gary's contact info so people can approach him with any questions, John. I doubt he'll be reading this.

Out of interest, did this camera ever get used? IU am not sure where it was meant to be. Does anyone know if it is still being gainfully employed? Has it been successful?

I thought I recently saw that a lot of HGV infringement tickets get appealed successfully, can anyone point me to that threat/discussion post?

good questions!

We get skip lorries bumming up our ladder road without a care in the world so I dont think there is much, if any, enforcement.
How exactly will anyone know a vehicle is overweight from CCTV? Even if anyone spots an overweight vehicle, would they notify the police and would the police act?

I only raise these questions after the council and police failed to act on a report of a skip overloaded with heavy material to a level of about 5 feet above the rim.

Sooner or later there will be a serious accident.

I do think the idea of CCTV is good for other things like burglaries and criminal damage.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service