Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Heartlands High plan 'fenced floodlit sports pitch' for Alexandra Park

The Friends of Alexandra Park report that there is a proposal to construct a fenced, floodlit, sports pitch, next the Sports Club, on the Lower Slopes of Alexandra Park.

The new secondary school, Heartlands High School, which has been built alongside the railway near Alexandra Palace Station, has been planned and built without any playing fields.

An interesting lens through which to view the sale of school playing fields conducted by both of the major political parties in past years? (And no I'm not a member of WRP!)

The Friends of the Park have expressed serious concern "over the impact, within a conservation area, of a substantial fenced and floodlit installation which removes significant wildlife habitat".  The public will have a chance to comment when the planning application is published.

More on the Friends of Alexandra Park website.

Tags for Forum Posts: alexandra park, parks

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The cricket club would do anything for funding to improve their practice facilities. At the moment everything they get is vandalised.

I really don't see why they'd NEED to make it "all weather". If anything the cricket pitches are too dry in summer and in winter you're playing football or something like that. The key here is that they need to be able to deliver a school sports curriculum and that means somewhere for court based hard surface games.

The drainage in that area is awful - it is very boggy. That is being addressed by drainage plans - but clearly a floodlit all weather would be very useful. The school already does have 3 small mugas - but not one big enough for full game of football (or similar). It is pretty clear the plans would be hugely beneficial to the school and the club  - the question is over the balance of the environmental impact.
They have grass there in the park for flip sake. Level it, mark it out, add goals ... done. And little visual or environmental impact. Maybe they don't like getting muddy!

And torches for floodlights . .

There are already football pitces there -used by Alexandra Park FC. No doubt Heartlands would love to use them, but my guess is that APFC don't wont allow that without getting something out of the deal. All weather pitch and floodlights would allow far greater use.

I didn't think state secondary school teachers did after hours sporting activity in this country. Why the floodlights again?

The bit to the left of the clubhouse is what they're talking about.

I just spoke to one of the guys on the committee at the cricket club and he was under the impression that this was going in front of the club house. Eyes peeled waiting for the planning application I guess.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service