Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Harringay, Green Lanes Station Usage Soars by More than 3,000%

Image: Sunil060902 published under a creative commons Licence from Wikipedia

Statistics published by the Office of Rail and Road show that the number of people using Harringay, Green Lanes Station has soared by more than 3,000% over the past decade.

The Office of Rail and Road publish annual estimates of the total numbers of people entering, exiting and changing at each station in Great Britain. Data for Harringay, Green Lanes station shows that in 2005-06 just 34,000 were using the station each year. By 2013-14 the number had soared to 1.2 million. That's a startling increase.

Over the same period numbers using Harringay Station have increased fourfold from 317,815 to 1,185,490. Hornsey has largely followed suit showing an increase from 381,659 to 1,237,698.

Link

Data at Office of Road and Rail

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay green lanes station

Views: 1654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jesus I knew HMO populations were getting bad in green lanes but didn't realise it was that bad.

Thank god you guys have got unlimited supplies of free bread and salad.
Not quite sure what you mean but there you go.
The reason the numbers using the line has increased is partly because the people who work in the places we depend on, like the Whittington, Royal Free other hospitals along the line, can now only afford to live out in the eastern suburbs like Barking

Seconded, loads of passengers bale out at Upper Holloway and stride up the Holloway Road towards the Whittington Hospital. Patients (I know one) too.

The overcrowding is appalling at peak times- this is my route to work. They need staff to help chivvy people on and off more quickly as they do with the DLR. Can take 3 mins for people to get on/off and this means the trains are usually delayed in the mornings Gospel Oak bound. Something needs to be done! As more people move to the outer zones because of housing crisis/expense, then this line will only get more busy. 

I don't see what I would call chronic over crowding...I travel at the tail end of the rush hour but I almost always get a seat in both directions. And the trains have wonderful air conditioning so I can't say I've ever felt uncomfortable in any way.

Good, and the aircon is great, but mid-rush-hour travel really, really is armpit to elbow between Upper Holloway and South Tottenham, and between Blackhorse Road (Victoria Line transfers) and Leytonstone.

Just for this three weeks while the Victoria Line is down east of 7Sis, or all the time?

The Barking - Gospel Oak Rail User Group (BGORUG) (link here) have been instrumental in initially keeping the line open (yes it was threatened under the Beeching Plan) and subsequently campaigning for better services. They do it on a shoestring and welcome new members. The website has a history of the line.

Found this ....

There is a Wikipedia page on the line, here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_Oak_to_Barking_Line#/media/F... 172005.jpg

It says (among other things) that...

1. Tubes in the area were over full, whereas this line was under used.
2. The replacement of trains with more efficient ones, not slam door.
3. The strategic decision to develop London Overground to take overspill from busy tubes. Lines marked on tube map for first time.
4. Number of trains per hour increased.
5. The ticket office was closed decades ago, so there were high levels of avoidance until Oyster introduced... has fallen from about 40% to about 2%.
You're right about the underuse FPR. When I had to use it to get to work in the 80s it was every half an hour, frequently cancelled and had 1950s carriages that stank. If you had any choice you went another way

The data for ORR shows two big step changes (approximate figures):

1. 2006 from 34,000 to 300,000.

2. 2010 from 270,000 to 500,000.

When I first saw the overall change, I just put it down to line improvements and population change, but it seems that you may have something with your Point 5, FPR. A very quick scan at the data collection methodology shows that it is based on revenue and ticketing data. 

I can image that ticket enforcement was poor a decade ago and perhaps a new enforcement regime started in 2006 which would explain the first step change. The second change, I imagine was down to service improvement. 

.....just looked at the GOBLIN Wikipedia page you linked to FPR and it says:

The large increases in the year beginning April 2006 were due to travelcards for National Rail journeys being made from stations that have only a London Underground office and also using a different methodology to estimate likely journeys made from National Rail stations in Zone 1. The large increases in the year beginning April 2010 were due to Oyster Cards being introduced in January 2010.

So mystery solved!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service