Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

According to Channel4's political correspondent Paul McNamara

"Conservative HQ have emailed asking for candidates in almost 100 seats  

When candidates ask when the deadline is, they have been told it’s 48 hours, according to 2 I’ve spoken to  

Some Tory associations are pretty livid at having been left in such an unprepared situation"

Just 24hrs to go. I'm sure only the very best of North London will, at this late stage, throw their hats into the ring. Below are some of the vacant constituencies. 

Tags for Forum Posts: Election, Hornsey and Friern Barnet, Tories, Tottenham

Views: 1253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once upon a time Haringey was Tory controlled, from 1967 until 1970.  There was a Conservative Club on Green Lanes and all of the local labour members joined it as well because it allowed late drinking, sometimes as late as 1am!  The young conservatives group once organised a meeting with opposite numbers from the labour party and had a discussion with a young Jack Straw and an even younger Paul Boateng.  Couldn't happen today could it?

Also, Hugh Rossi was the Conservative MP for Hornsey 1966-83 and then Hornsey & Wood Green 1983-92. Ham & High obituary here. My recollection is he was a decent sort, even if I didn't vote for him.

Politicians are so disrespected (to put it mildly) by the media of all types these days it’s surprising anyone wants to stand any more.  You’re need the skin of a Rhino to even contemplate it. Young people with talent can earn much more in other jobs (which is needed now if they are ever going to get a home).  Older people who have maybe paid their mortgage and retired would be insane to take it on! 

Disrespected by the media? They're doing their fair share to ear the disrespect quite frankly. 

You are entirely correct Gina. Unless things change we will be left with the likes of the brass necked Diane Abbott. Not because she is a woman, not because she is West Indian but because she is simply not good enough to be an MP.

Quite telling that you refer to Abbott's gender and heritage so explicitly. If you were to criticise Rishi Sunak would you suggest it's "Not because he is a man, not because he is of Indian heritage..."?

No, of course not. I suspect that you not being swayed by her gender and race is as likely as "Esther Cohen" being your real name. It seems to be an oddly specific pseudonym.

[Edited to explain that I'm referring to Esther’s description of:
"The likes of the brass-necked Diane Abbott."

That sounded like a negative comment. But then, maybe not.  I didn’t know what the expression meant and never bothered to look up brass-necked.  But I've admiration and respect for Diane.

So to the dictionaries.

Brass neck: Brazen boldness; presumptuousness; impudence; insolence; transgressing the bounds of decorum; insulting shameless barefaced, audacity.

Does that sound like Diane Abbott?  Well maybe.
Or perhaps more Boris Johnson? Or maybe a lot of other "larger than life" public figures?

For me Diane is a much respected Labour figure and a trailblazer.  Plus a fellow Londoner who was born in Paddington and attended the sister school of the one I went to. (Although years after me. And after they'd given-up having boys in drag play Shaw and Shakespeare.)

As for her life and achievements, even reading her Wikipedia entry, I plainly know only a tiny fraction about her.

But if anyone really wants to see brazen presumptuousness; rudeness; transgressing the bounds of decorum; insulting shameless; and barefaced, arrogance, it's there in full bloom with Starmer and his sneering triumphalist NEC gang. Who appear to have a only a tiny bit more empathy than hungry bedbugs,

Of course there’s also a theory about Starmer that his apparent lack of kindness and human fellow feeling is not the real  Keir  But simply shows us the cruel machine politician bullies who run his campaign.  Such partial mitigation is presented in a recent video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_mrQreN1Us

The definition that more accurately describes Diane Abbot is in the Cambridge online dictionary.

"Brass neck: a type of behaviour where someone is extremely confident about their own actions but does not understand that their behaviour is unacceptable to others."

Boris Johnson isn't much chop either although for different reasons.

I refer to those characteristics because they are the ones that she and her supporters use to deflect any legitimate criticism of her abhorrence views and performance. I could be wrong but I am yet to hear Rishi Sunak complain of mysandry or racism when people criticise his views or performance.

As for your criticism of my name I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm sure you'll succeed in getting the attention of some local canines. 

It was JamesN - not me - who commented on your name. I assumed he is jealous. You and I use two names. He has one plus a spare letter.

Okay, Esther. You've made your point. You disapprove of Diane Abbott's behaviour and politics. Fair enough.
I'm sure that if and when you become a Tory MP and I find time to study your biography, (or current Wikipedia page) there may be one or two motes and beams among the remaining pure sparkle.

I know Alan. I replied to JamesN. You can see by the indentation of the comments. 

I am curious about why you think I'd like to be a Tory MP. Dislike of Diane Abbott is not limited to conservative voters. 

It's my sense of humour Esther.

Anyway, of the Tory controlled major parties  only one seems publicly keen to fill its candidate lists in the last few days.
As we can all see, Labour is busy doing its best to purge any decent principled leftwing members. But has had no problem filling any slots with opportunists including paid lobbyists for various commercial and other interests.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service