Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I walked through H Passage this morning from Fairfax to the next road, towards the Salsibury direction(what is it again?) and was about to enter the passage when a tall man ahead of me stopped in the passage and was looking down and fiddling with something(?) and looked at me as if waiting for me... I therefore turned round and walked out of the passage and waited for a bit, then I peeked round the corner and he had walked a bit further and stopped and was looking in my direction again.... what was he up to and why? Was he lurking? Was he a flasher? Was he up to no good or was it all totally innocent?......... Women have to weigh all this up... I was not about to put myself in the position of being alone in the passage with no one else about, but him lurking there....anyone else see him? I waited for a bit and then looked again and he seemed to have gone.......... so carried on walking through.

Tags for Forum Posts: rape

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well while the rest of this sinks in can I just distance myself as far as possible from the thought that James' "buy things" comment was aimed solely at women. I don't think it was and it certainly never occurred to me that it might be. I buy things too and I know that's the way the big bad world likes me (which is what I thought he was inferring).
Well no doubt it was his intention to make a pithy comment on the consumer culture that deadens our reactions to wider issues, but unfortunately and maybe coincidentally the last two times he has chosen to write that comment, it was in posts begun by women therefore it could be read that the subtext is 'Ah just go shopping, dear'.
Liz you suprise me. Anyway check this clip and please watch the whole clip. It's about the inventor of consumerism : Edward bernays, the son-in-law of Sigmund Frued.,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vf9fNqMDxA
Okay, I watched the whole clip but I am unclear as to why you directed me to it. As an explanation of your comment? Fair enough, but I still fail to see how it supports people who are writing about genuine concerns or who wish to share their experience of feeling unsafe in a specific situation as an alert to others.

Perhaps, if you wish to spark discussion on consumerism and its effects, you could post your thoughts on a separate thread or via a blog post. Writing fairly obscure comments on a thread which is seeking reassurance or sharing information may seem quite alienating to a new or irregular poster.

You are a regular contributor and content generator which is great but if we are to extend the number and increase the confidence of less regular contributors, we should be careful not to fighten them off or appear to trivialise their posting.

By all means open up the debate elsewhere, 'You have nothing to fear but fear itself' which gives people the option of joining in with you and gauging the tone from your original post. When replying to others posts, taking the temperature first before you jump in might help make the original poster feel more comfortable.
I am not ashamed to say I have turned around on numerous occasions when it didn't feel right. This is not pandering to potential criminals, it's common sense.

I think sharing information like this is vital, if something happened and you never reported it, how guilty would you feel?
ditto
John McM, do give the women of Harringay a little credit. We are not going to start having mass hysteria and seeing pervs on every street corner. You may recall that many of those commenting on Julie's recent blog post on safety were women who attest that they feel quite safe in this neighbourhood at night.

However, it is not a matter of secrecy, as it was reported at Area Assembly, that a flasher was arrested recently. So these people do exist and it is wise for women to be self aware when walking alone and not to get distracted or take unnecessary risks. The man in question was probably using the Passage as a urinal but if you are not sure of what a person is doing, it is always the sensible course of action to stay back. Harringay is not a dangerous place but that does not mean that bad things can't happen here.

If women (or men) wish to post about their concerns about personal safety, I don't think we should be fearing that the perception of crime will rise and that women will stop going out and surely our job as a community is to offer support and reassurance not scepticism and dire warnings about mass panics.
Thanks Liz, glad you clarified this. Personally I feel safer in this area than many other so-called safe areas I have lived! Hopefully I will continue to feel safe, but also staying alert is something all we women have to do.
As an addendum the guy was not having a pee(or about to) or he would not have had his back to the wall facing the middle of the passage!
I'm saying nothing :-)
Sapphireblue, if you see this guy doing this again, ring 999. Or you can ring my mobile (will msg over).

Anne, yes the violence against strangers I've witnessed around here has been against men. Shot, stabbed or mugged (and one of the victims is a friend's son). Any violence against a woman has involved their partner or ex partner. All of it is horrible. Always dial 999. However luckily, this violence is infrequent.
SB

I haven't read all of the responses to this thread, but just to let you know that my wife has seen a suspicious man on a few occasions over the last couple of weeks in the same location.

She was so suspicious she phoned me and described him as he was acting so oddly.

If in doubt turn around and phone 999.
I certainly wouldnt have risked walking down the alley if there was a shifty looking man hanging around there. What is the need to do anything but walk straight through those areas unless you're up to no good (or bending down to tie up your shoe laces perhaps)? I only use the passage during the day time, and even then, it feels a bit eerie during the weekends because you lose the 'parents with children' traffic. i never use the passage after dark, even if i am with other people.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service