Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey traffic boss starts Ladder traffic review following engagement by local group

Following the work of the Harringay Ladder Living Streets group, Cllr Matt White, Cabinet Member for Planning and Corporate Services has arranged a maildrop to all Ladder residents. 

Entitled, Harringay Ladder Traffic and Transport Review, whilst it carefully makes no commitments the letter implies that there may be action to tackle Ladder traffic.

Full letter attached below (or read online on Haringey Council's website).

The council web page links to an engagement map for residents to have their say at harringayladder.commonplace.is

But of course, there is also value in also speaking through a group. Please contact - and join - the Haringey Ladder Living Streets Group (www.hlls.org.uk or by email at harringayladderlivingstreets@gmail.com) with any queries, or ask them on here.

Tags for Forum Posts: hlhs, ladder ltn, low traffic neighbourhoods, traffic

Views: 2790

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you've explained this very well Michael. The temporary closure of Wightman Road and a lack of mitigation for displaced traffic highlighted the traffic load that Wightman Road currently bears and in my view that was increased when closures were put in place on many of the roads east of Green Lanes back in the day, without any corresponding measures for mitigation being put in place on the western side of GL.

Be that as it was, we are now in a different space with the pressures of a climate change emergency and a twin public health deficit of polluted air that breaks EU guidelines, let alone WHO guidelines, and obesity, both of which place unnecessary strains on the NHS.

We cannot go backwards and hide our heads in the sand, lifestyle changes are necessary if our children & grandchildren are to have any chance of enjoying a fulsome life experience. It will not happen overnight and there will be initial frustrations for many people, but there is no choice and the time for prevaricating whilst continuing to be undermined by the fossil fuel industry is over.

We all need to accept that road-space needs to be reallocated and reprioritised away from the motor car, the use of which should be thought of as a last resort.

The irony in Harringay and much of the borough is that a majority of households do not have access to a car. 

The St. Ann's plans threaten to repeat this if nothing is done on the Ladder to mitigate the impact. At the same time, I support the St. Ann's plans in general because they are the future.

I asked the council at the time if they had thought about mitigating measures and they said they had put in place some, I can't remember what they all were but one was changing and closely monitoring traffic light sequences. But what little they did do obviously wasn't enough. I totally agree with you about Green Lanes car parking.

Julie, they didn’t even get the signage right at the bottom of the the Ladder roads right.  It took a lot of emails and phone calls to get ones that told motorists that if they went up, they would go no where!

Anyone take photos of that problem? Or mapped it? Anybody got copies of emails sent and replies?  With outcomes?

In other words, on what were ongoing - in effect - unintended but potentially valuable experiments, how much was recorded, can be retrieved/dug out from the record; and learned from. Any indication of what was learned and by whom?

I'm sure that many people realised - maybe immediately, maybe slowly - that cheap, simple and easy digital photography, combined with cheap storage, was a huge and positive change. But only if embraced with enthusiasm.

Especially as audio and video was added to the mix. And with very large numbers of people going round with a tiny but powerful computer in their pocket which had all those functions.

I quite agree that the long closure of Wightman Road could be seen as a valuable experiment.  It was quite long enough for drivers to adjust their habits after the initial period of confusion (which was pretty dramatic).  The intensive and expensive collection of traffic data took place during two widely separated weeks, one before and one during the closure.  The second week was well after the initial period of confusion and I believe that much more could have been made of the data collected.  The leading professional consultant involved said that he had never seen such a comprehensive mass of data collected for a traffic study and, in my view, it was a pity that more comprehensive analysis of it was not made (perhaps it was but not published).  This could, of course, still be done and there are many possibilities. For example, it would be good to see an estimate of the volume of vehicle movements that arise exclusively from ladder residents themselves and deliveries to them.  Also, an estimate of how many vehicle movements on ladder rungs arise from people parking just of Green Lanes.   Perhaps the council could employ a postgrad to reanalyse the data as part of an MSc thesis.

Dick, I'm not challenging your overview; nor your suggestion about the retained data and its possible reuses. As you say, the work and expense to collect the previous data should if possible be available for further study and any insights it offers.

However my point was from a different angle. Traffic Engineers, Planners, the Degeneration staff and others come and go. And so do many residents. But they are, in the Anarchist saying, the "wearers who know where the shoe pinches".

So cameras and smartphones are tools which for residents, can add useful evidence. And maybe help to tilt the power balance a little towards residents when faced with a 101 Council where local residents' views observations and opinions are often assumed to be wrong.

Yes I remember taking a picture of the 'advance warning sign' at the beginning of Warham Road. It was behind 2 other signs and a tree in full bloom, I had to really search for it and I knew what was going on!

Thanks, JulieB. That tends to support my point. The camera lens can often "see" from the viewpoint of a driver or a walker. Or in the example you give, record the obstructions and blooms that block their viewpoint.

I realise it can be a faff but I've found it worthwhile to make and email-in such photos.  It's possible that someone sensible might not only fix a signage problem but also learn from it.
I also confess to enjoy spotting signs with spelling mistaeks. Or which face the wrong way. Or give directions to buildings and services which no longer exist. One Haringey roadside sign was (still is?) so thickly layered by graffiti that its original purpose could serve only to puzzle a passing archaeologist.

At the time I think I posted it on HoL and I definitely sent it to someone at the Council.

Thanks, I'll search on HoL
But maybe the important "moral" is what residents can do now and in the future?
Traffic engineers have their "toolbox" and measurements. Those generate useful basic information. But there must also be a place for what residents' see and hear and experience. Local "wisdom".

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service