Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An item at tonight's Council Cabinet meeting has thrown into question the future survival of Haringey's two warehouse districts and the artistic communities who live in them.

Both the Harringay Warehouse District and the Fountayne Road community now face an uncertain future following the publication of a Haringey Council report, "Tackling Unauthorised Living in Industrial Areas". (Report attached)

The report, which was discussed at the full cabinet of the Council today, recommends a two-year project costing £600,000 which will seek to deal with "the growing problem of unauthorised residential and live work uses in and around (the) Industrial Sites" in Haringey. The recommended process is "to establish a special multi-disciplinary team to fully investigate and address the problem through a combination of regulation, improvement, enforcement and, where necessary, prosecution".

The alarm bells were ringing for me since earlier in the week I had discovered that these areas are earmarked as being amongst those that will "will accommodate the majority of development in the borough over the next 20 years".

In Facebook and Twitter conversations this afternoon, warehouse residents shared their fears that the vibrancy their communities bring to the borough will be overlooked and their communities sanitised and destroyed.

In response to my Twitter requests to Council Leader Claire Kober this evening to protect these communities, Cllr Kober sought to offer some reassurance:

@harringayonline some people in unacceptable conditions. My concern is for safe, decent properties. No intention to undermine communities

@harringayonline no intention to damage what's good. Priority is to go after rogue landlords just as we do elsewhere in borough

When I asked if she would ensure that warehouse residents will be involved, the Council Leader replied:

@harringayonline don't see any problem involving residents. Will ask officers to consider how best to achieve

I very much hope that the approach the Council takes in this project will support these communities rather than beginning the process of whittling them away. 

Tags for Forum Posts: local plan, local plan 2014, site allocation plan, warehouse district

Views: 20954

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because you were rude enough to attack them on the grounds of their 'arty farty' professions, Jenny. 

I think Jenny has had enough disturbed nights and that has clouded her view of the omega residents. I remember her talking to me about her and her daughters sleepless weekends at least 3 years ago, I can understand her feeling this way. Obviously not all of the community are noise nuisances but, unfortunately they are the only ones visible.

"hearable"

Ha! Yes, but what I mean is noticeable, so almost seem representative of the other members of the community. It's all we know of you...

Here's a snapshot of our demographic.

TRADE/SKILL/BUSINESS Music Event Manager / Agent / Professional Party Starter Yoga Teacher Photographer Massage Therapist, Actress, Comedy Writer, Singer Software Developer Sound Technician, Event/Project Management Software Dev / Music production Graphic t-shirt Company - Printing/Embroidery Services Visual Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Mural Painting, Street Art, Pop Making Deep tissue Massage therapist Film-Maker/Videographer Holistsic and massage therapist. Singer/Singing Teacher Arts Publicist/Event Manager/Writer Actor/Singer Personal Trainer/Nutritionist Musician / Teacher / Drums Guitar Graphic Designer/ Animator / Programmer Musician / music teacher / writer / translator Journalist / Copywriter / Photographer / IT sysadmin / Press & PR Designer Writer / Cook / Poet / ex-recruitment consultant Fashion Photographer / Still Life Photographer / Product Photographer / Retoucher / Stylist, Costume Designer, Image Consultant and freelance Photographer Agile and PRINCE2 Certified Project Manager, Qualified Trainer and Personal Performance Coach "Translation (English-German), proofreading + copywriting Journalism Social media management for NGOs

Gig photography" Web Design & Photography Production Coordinator/ AD Tattoo Artist Fashion/Travel Blogger & Journalist, Stylist and vintage buyer/seller Videographer Furniture restorer/Van Driver/Tour Manager Journalist, arts journalist, website content writer and proofreader Assistant Director/ runner on films Ed tech consulting / music production 3D Video Mapping / Event Lighting Art director/set build/Photographer/Wooden furniture restorer Drum & Bass DJ 'Initial D' Chef, Events manager Psychologist / Writer / Proofreader /Researcher Digital artist Writer/ Documentary maker/ Proofreader/ Henna tattoos Circus-performer, Circus agent, Tutor, Professional fundraiser, Charity project worker, Drugs & Alcohol recovery officer -dont worry importer/distributor of craft beers/event manager/promoter Session Musician/Guitar Teacher/Booking Agent @ Levell11 Tour Manager in the music industry and Splitter / Tour Van Rental AV Production, Audio Recording, Music Production, Mixing and Mastering visual artist, illustrator, graphic design Circus Rigger / Theratre Production Manager / AV Tech AV Production, Event Managment, DJ, PR and Marketing costume design, performer Fine-Art Photographer Figurative painter Fashion Photographer Prop Maker Art Director Production Designer Video Editor/Compositor by day, Director in spare time Music/Events and Portrait photographer/Videographer Promoter / Events Staffing Co - Ordinator Statistical analyst/ data analyst/ market researcher/ Excel guru Street Food consultant and occassional Street Food trader (Hardcore Prawn) Vespa Taxi/ courier service maintenance/Handyman Hip Hop/Funk/Soul DJ/Producer/Remixer .. Life Model .. Removals .. Bar Man .. Driver .. Graphic designer (branding, packaging, artworker, posters, flyers, book / magazine layout) / fashion designer/ product designer / composer / dj Costume designer-maker, Wardrobe Mistress and Costume Continuity Filming + Video editing + Sound editing and film scoring. photographer, assistant photographer Filmmaker, Director, Cinematographer, Assistant Director, Singer, Writer Fashion Photographer/Film-Maker Audio vedio installer/ live Technicain Cinematography Acrobatic theatre. Designer/maker of set & costume, Illustrator Cinematographer / Filmmaker Creator/director of Juliettes Rock n Roll Circus, Dj, Stylist, Interior Decorator, Events Manager, Showroom Manager, Art Direction

Creaotr/ Director of Howl Agency Aerial acrobatics / Circus + Nanny/babysitting Marketing, Fundraising, Project Management, Events, Training Circus performer: juggler / fire performer / stilt walker / workshop instructor - I run Chivaree Circus. Also build sets and stages. Audio Engineer/Producer/Tour Manager (Studio and Live) Artist Management/ Talent Development/ Singer- Songwriter actor, director, puppeteer, fire performer, cabaret host, prop builder Composer, music production for perfomance and media.

"Interactive/Lighting/Sculptural Installation + Digital/Glitch art Artist/Designer

Singer,

Model." Graphic design, Illustration, Visual Artist, Video Editor, Sales and Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Blogger, Project Co-ordinator "Illustrator, digital graphic designer, motion graphics artist, music producer " Singer - Songwriter - Vocal Coach composer / dj Web / Mobile Apps development / project management Direction/Post/ Editor/Animator/designer After effects & animation/ Sound Design /moods/Scores Actor/Director/Performer/Creative/Masseur (Thai/Shiatsu/Tantric)/Musician/Workshop Facilitator/ Dance/Maskwork/Writing/Photography/Tarot/Live-Work Spaces/Haringey Arts/Community

Sound Engineer/Songwriter/Multi-Instrumentalist Piano Tuner/ Technician + Singer/ Performer/ Songwriter Hair Colourist/Stylist & Makeup Artist Web Developer & Model Photographer Pattern Cutter, Fashion Designer, Graphic designer, Illustrator, Corset maker, Print designer Music producer; DJ; Sound design Mobile Therapist - N.L.P, Hypnotherapy, Timeline Therapy, Reiki Filmmaker, Videographer, Video Editor, Actress, Dancer, Singer, Theatre Director Session drummer / music teacher Designer/ Photographer/ Explorer Record Producer Disco, House & Techno // // // EVENT PRODUCTION Costume / Fashion designer, freelance seamstress and pattern maker Web developer, user experience and visual design, good at Wordpress geek stuff, video editing (final cut), very amateur music production (logic), used to run a video streaming production company way back in the mid-noughties. Designer, CAD, electronics, installations Composer / Producer IT Administrator/ Network Consultant Tattoo Artist Audio/Visual Artist-Researcher, Sound Artist. Sound Designer, Music Producer, DJ, Sound Editor Cocktail Bar Manager and Venue Manager for Basement 55 Stoke Newington High Street ALSO Freelance Mixologist and Flair Bartender textile fashion and costume. creator of fancy headwear and other fun accessories to decorate yourself Milk float driver Graphic Design / Illustration / Animation / Knitting

escultor músic Android Mobile App Dev, Front End Web Dev, DJ, Music Producer, Percussionist, Live Sound, Events Immersive/ multi- sensory artist and producer / tactile art Lingerie/Corsetry/Costume designer Freelance Mechatronics Engineer Artist/Furniture restoration/Gardner + volunteer Designer / Web Designer / Experiential Designer Writer/proofreader Writer, artist, editor, proofreader Director/Cinematographer/Producer/Videographer

Director, Actress social media expert, singer-songwriter, live music host, blogger, amateur photographer, singer Fashion Photographer Music Producer English US/UK > FrenchTranslator Itinerant Poetry Library Textile Designer (knit/print), illustrator Handy man, van/car owner driver. Actor and Theatre maker Stylist/ Junior Fashion Editor/ Fashion Assistant/ Brand consultant/ freelance writer/ blogger Creative Directtion/ Digital Publishing/ Photographic Retouching/ Music Publicity & PR Manager of More Like Trees/Event management/music programming/musical collaborations facilitator - also portrait painter Hair & Makeup Artist/DJ " Musician (piano/guitar/bass/trumpet) /Music Producer (Pro Tools 10, Garage Band) /Artist (llustration, Fine Art)/ Graphic Design (adobe photoshop)" "Violin player/ violinist Photographer Chinese Mandarin speaker" Photography, video, retouching, photographic assistant Photography, Retouching, Artworking, Video Shooting, Graphic Design, Sculpture, Handy Man, Building, Labouring, Bass, Music, Recording "Stage Manager Props Buyer" Writer, photographer, videographer Textile artist Costume designer, small scale stage desiger, smallscale event designer Sound Designer, Composer Music/writing Yoga teacher Photographer/Studio Manager Motion Graphics Artist/FCP Editor/Animator Hula hoop performer and freelance writer rock vocalist. music live bookings, promotion, music events management @ groupie grandma promotions 3D designer / creative technologist Writer/ Circus (Chinese Pole) Cinematographer, Writer/Director, Producer Video Editor/Colour grader cinematographer, Writer/Director, Producer, Composure Assistant manager- shift leader,waiter, volunteer Graphic designer, Illustrator,Stylist Studio Manager (Photography & Video hire space) Live sound engineer - Sound designer / Actress - Voiceover Artist / Italian translator Founder of two magazines. Creative communications strategist for social enterprises, translator (Dutch - English), copy writer & editor, photographer, film maker, independent journalist Intimacy Training, Body Healing Techniques, Men only Sax player, search engine marketing, digital project management Freelance Makeup Artist Fine Artist - Painter Artist/Curator/Exhibition and event co-ordinator cajon player/video editor/

Jeweller/Goldsmith/Diamond Mounter Vintage, Designer, Costumes, Accessories, Styling Stage props/ costume props maker Yoga Teacher. Hair dresser Drum kit and percussion Touring Sound Engineer Music Producer/Sound Engineer Band Host & Creator of Dr Clive's Circus, Compere, Clown, Singer, Corde lisse performer, Musician, Medical doctor

Performer (Compere, Host, Dancer, Improviser) Theatre Deviser (Choreographer, Childrens Theatre, Adults theatre, comedy, immersive theatre) Events Manager (Corporate Events, Immersive & Theatrical Events, Festivals) Production Manager, Arts Producer Plumbing/heating/gas and DJ Directing,Editing, CameraOp,Photographer Photography, fine arts, art direction, fashion design, writing, vintage, costumes, styling, retouching, assisting. experienced VJ looking for live video collaborators in the area. PR, press coverage, event management, wall collages Photographer Hairstylist Audio Visual Technician, Lighting technician, Event Management Sound Recordist musician/ songwriter/producer/ singer "Tutor - music theory, piano, guitar, trumpet, English, maths, history, philosophy

Musician - performer, composer, singer/songwriter

Urban Designer - studying for MA" Music Recording/Mixing/Production ---- musician Musician, Songwriter, Performer,

2D / 3D Animator, Illustrator, graphic designer, visuals Filmmaker / Sound Designer musician, photographer artist Stage Crew, rigger in training, mixologist, stage design metal wood scupture, jewelery design, metalworker comedy writer, English teacher, bagpipe & tuba veteran, fucking badass. Hair & Make-Up Artist, translation (English- German-French-Spanish-Swedish) Stylist, consultant, Art director Project Manager, Entrepreneur, DJ Musician, Composer, Producer, Film Production Graduate, Writer. Stand up comedy, compering, MCing, comedy writing, improvised punning Web developer - Wordpress, Ruby and Python Illustrator "// Fashion Design // Sewing // Pattern Cutting // General stitchy-business" Musician (Drummer, Vocalist, Keys, Guitar), veggie cook and generally happy lending grunt or effort to most things. Singer/Songwriters 2D artist, mural artist Digital marketing/social media Music Producer, Recording/Mix/Master Engineer, Songwriter, Musician Professional spray painter / bespoke fitted furniture maker Sound Mixer, director on my spare time Artist, Painter Project Manager, Surveyor, Building Works, Home cider brewer Mixed Media Fashion Designer Rapid Prototyper/UX Architect Director Rehearsal Space £10 ph DJ/Producer, pianist, qualified music teacher, marketing communications strategist Music and Event Eublicist, PR, Music / Creative Events (festival) Contemporary Arts PR/Marketing Warhammer Expert Craft Bartender Reflexology Music event Management Illustrator & Graphic Designer Music PR, A&R, Talent Scout Menswear Buying Assistant Film Maker/ Film Editor/ Director Production Coordinator Photographer journalist /video producer Director, playwright Drummer / Drum Teacher Natural Skincare Maker/Holsitic therapist/Health Workshop Faciliitator/English Supply teacher/musician DJ, Model Screen Printer / Direct To Garment Printing Print design/illustration Filmmaker/Editor Photographer/Videomaker Mask Maker/Mask play Teacher / actor Prosthetic/Special Effects makeup artist/Makeup artist/ Hair Styling Costume and Events House Cleaner Photographer / Retoucher Hairstylist

And....

Means I do a lot!!!! ;)

what you do is not an issue. i think its cool that a creative community exists in n15 but its more like an exlusive ghetto, a little bubble. thats the problem for me, that and anti social behaviour.

Fully accept. We tried, for many many years, to have community facing resources. My background includes putting arts resources into rehabs and treatment centres, wherever. It engages people. Prompts dialogue. We as individuals are not exclusive, we are inclusive, we merely need and want the framework. 

And your point is ????? You are still breaking the law by living there and you are all still noisy

I am NOT breaking the law by living HERE.

AND I AM QUIET.

Excuse the shouting ;)

Just to reiterate , I moved out of the area , ( still in haringey) 16 months ago. I did complain on a regular basis, as suggested, I met with my local Councillor, I collected a petition of neighbours that I presented to the council, and had the noise abatement teams number on speed dial to complain about the raves as well as a landlord. However, all this misses the point. Why should I have to actually do that. Decent people, those that care about their neighbours and want to foster a community spirit , don't behave in such an arrogant and inconsiderate way, presuming that their lifestyle choice is so important that it's impact on the people living in the area before they arrived, is immaterial . That is the impression I got when trying to speak to the people causing the problems.

What kind of community thinks it is ok to hold raves, and set up sound systems on their roof , blasting out music in the middle of the night , smack bang in the middle of a residential are.
It was quiet before people started living there and no amount of art produced , or vibrancy added to the local pub could make up for noise , rubbish , and the lack of sleep, I, my family and other neighbours had to contend with. It did calm down for a while , before I moved, but speaking to someone on hermitage road , I understand it started up again.

A lot of the post seem to suggest people getting together to talk and try and resolve the issues, my experience of trying to speak to the noise makers was met with indifference, and I know Jenny was swore at on a few occasions and asked "weren't you young once"

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service