Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An item at tonight's Council Cabinet meeting has thrown into question the future survival of Haringey's two warehouse districts and the artistic communities who live in them.

Both the Harringay Warehouse District and the Fountayne Road community now face an uncertain future following the publication of a Haringey Council report, "Tackling Unauthorised Living in Industrial Areas". (Report attached)

The report, which was discussed at the full cabinet of the Council today, recommends a two-year project costing £600,000 which will seek to deal with "the growing problem of unauthorised residential and live work uses in and around (the) Industrial Sites" in Haringey. The recommended process is "to establish a special multi-disciplinary team to fully investigate and address the problem through a combination of regulation, improvement, enforcement and, where necessary, prosecution".

The alarm bells were ringing for me since earlier in the week I had discovered that these areas are earmarked as being amongst those that will "will accommodate the majority of development in the borough over the next 20 years".

In Facebook and Twitter conversations this afternoon, warehouse residents shared their fears that the vibrancy their communities bring to the borough will be overlooked and their communities sanitised and destroyed.

In response to my Twitter requests to Council Leader Claire Kober this evening to protect these communities, Cllr Kober sought to offer some reassurance:

@harringayonline some people in unacceptable conditions. My concern is for safe, decent properties. No intention to undermine communities

@harringayonline no intention to damage what's good. Priority is to go after rogue landlords just as we do elsewhere in borough

When I asked if she would ensure that warehouse residents will be involved, the Council Leader replied:

@harringayonline don't see any problem involving residents. Will ask officers to consider how best to achieve

I very much hope that the approach the Council takes in this project will support these communities rather than beginning the process of whittling them away. 

Tags for Forum Posts: local plan, local plan 2014, site allocation plan, warehouse district

Views: 21007

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those issues are yours but the issues for your neighbours are very much about noise and rubbish.
Dear Sharon

Do you think that noise and rubbish have not had a detrimental impact on my business at Omega Works and my Private life ?

I have no control over the 26 Units , that Majorlink Ltd , Topsfling Ltd and David Meir are responsible for .

Their Collective Tenant's have been shouting abuse at me and Trespassing all over my property , stealing electricity from my supply , keying my car , slashing my tyres etc etc ( all recorded by email and photos) .

Please provide solid evidence that my Tenant's are responsible for noise pollution and refuse .

Derek Peace has visited the site ,and talked to my Tenant's on two occasions , that I am aware of . I have owned the Freehold since 2002 .

Therefore in 12 years , the Haringey Noise Abatement Officer has only written to me twice ?

Please get your fact's correct and complain to the Landlord's Agent / Majorlink Ltd. Topsfling Ltd David Meir etc .

I have posted their direct emails .
'this is not really about noise or refuse...'

MP Lynne Featherstone demands update on 'urgent' repairs to Noel Park estate

1:00pm Saturday 15th March 2014 in NewsHaringey Independent: Photograph of the AuthorBy Natalie O'Neill

The MP for Hornsey and Wood Green has demanded an update on “urgent” repairs to homes in a council estate.

Lynne Featherstone has contacted Haringey Borough Council’s housing management company, Homes for Haringey (HfH), who have been accused of neglecting to fix houses in the Noel Park estate in Wood Green.

Ms Featherstone said more and more residents from the Noel Park estate are coming to her for help with their housing because HfH “just won’t listen to them or take action”.

Referring to claims HfH repairs staff claimed more than £3.7million in bonuses in less than two years, Ms Featherstone said: “Enough is enough. It is so unfair for residents to live in such bad conditions, while Homes for Haringey repair staff receive £3.7 million in bonuses.

“I will keep chasing Homes for Haringey to make these repairs. I am asking residents to keep me informed, too, to make sure I get the full picture.”

The Haringey Independent is waiting for a comment from Homes for Haringey.

No she most definitely does not deserve credit-Nor do any of the other lanlords for this site.

Dear Jenny 

Following the unauthorised Party in  Unit RAD , opposite your home and on the left hand side of the entrance to Omega Works on Saturday 15/03/2014 .

What if any action did you take to ensure that this noise pollution was halted ? 

The Freeholders of this Unit are Majorlink, their agent Martin who you can contact on XXXXXXX will be able to confirm this as fact . 

The Lease his currently in the name of XXXXXXX XXXXXXX mob XXXXXX .

Who gave you my contact mobile number and told you that I was responsible for any Units at Omega Works other than Units 10A-D .

Unit 10 is the first unit under the bridge on the right 

POst edited by site admin in line with our terms and conditions.

I called haringey noise team 3 times, police 2 times and Martin several times

Dear Jenny 

I was told yesterday morning that there had been a further Party in Unit Rad as my Tenants complained to me about the noise .

I came to Omega to find the yard littered with cans and bottles ,left everywhere by the Party goers . 

I knocked on the door and explained to one of Michael Gatenby's Tenants , that no parties are allowed on the site and that it had caused noise pollution and distress to Residents directly opposite the gates and Tenant's in Omega Works .

I was with  a colleague , I further asked where Michael Gatenby was , the Tenants reply was that he had not seen Michael Gatenby since , he came to their last Party .

I asked the Tenant to come and apologise to you , and explained that you have to get up at 6.30 am and that you have a right to peace and quiet after 11pm . 

The Tenant said that he would apologise ..Clearly he couldn't be bothered .

Dear Jenny 

What does this post refer to ? 

Its refering to the party on Sat/Sun  Ive had enough, For people to think it is ok to hold all night parties, is absoultely outrageous, not to mention the party goers coming and going, screaming and shouting etc

A joker card well played,  Hannie. And from the Daily Mail, defender of the status quo ante.

The Browns and the Fidlers two families ignoring the planning rules and secretly putting up their own des res. Two everyday stories of country folk. Coming soon to every garden, front yard. carpark, rooftop, cellar, and potting shed near you and me?

Although, seriously, who could possibly have noticed Mr Fidler's tiny, discreet dwelling? Nestled cosily as it was, behind a few straw bales?Encouraged by this, and now that I'm off the Council in May, I want to come clean and confess that for many years, in my spare time, I've gradually been putting up a very modest, structure on a plot of fire-damaged land in Muswell Hill. It blended in so completely with surrounding greenery that nobody noticed. Except a few creative artists, rock bands and antiques sellers who I very occasionally allowed in to do their stuff - very quietly of course.

And I'm told a few locals have also spotted it. But thinking it's some sort of historical ruin,  jokingly call it "the  Palace".

As I've given up growing palm trees and bananas inside, and can no longer afford the £2 million a year upkeep, I've decided to donate it to the Borough for safekeeping. Do you like my Tatlin inspired candlestick? I got it cheap; mail order from Achica.

Grey Day at Alexandra Palace

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service