Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey police appeal for information after Green Lanes accident

Detectives from the Serious Collisions Investigation Unit (SCIU) are appealing for witnesses following a collision in #GreenLanes #N4 which has left a man seriously injured...

http://news.met.police.uk/news/appeal-following-serious-collision-i... 

Views: 2135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ John McM.

My ( sarcastic ) comment did not refer to police action but to posts on HOL following a report of someone knocked down or killed. These almost invariably assume that the driver was at fault even though the poster did not witness the incident.

For example, Christina said " How on earth do you know that the driver in your example was not driving dangerously? "

She did not say " How do you know that the victim was not drunk / did not run across ignoring the traffic lights / tripped on an uneven paving stone and staggered into the roadway ? ".

No, she implied that the most likely scenario was that the driver was at fault.

But isn’t that the whole point of this posting - that people who may have witnessed the incident come forward to help the investigation?  

Even with video evidence, nothing happens. I think it's even pointless being a witness and I want people to be angry about that. The local police are more concerned about burglaries than our safety.

So you’re saying not to bother?

Tell us all about it by all means, but don't think they'll investigate.

Exactly Michael. Facts, not speculation.

Ah OK, well the police to arrest them at the scene if they're drunk. This driver was probably just speeding if anything.

This bears out my point John. HOL contributors just assume the driver was at fault.

It's also possible that the victim ran recklessly across the road to catch a bus. We don't know.

Pedestrians have the right to do that. You need to be travelling at a speed where you can stop or slow enough that your impact won't injure them too much.

"ran recklessly across the road"   

"Pedestrians have the right to do that".

Duh.  You'll be saying that to your friends and family, then.

Reinstate the " Red Flag Act " ?

There was a similar appeal two months ago - thread here:  

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/appeal-after-motorcycli...

Now I witnessed the aftermath of that incident just south of the 29 bus stop near Manor House station (after paramedics and police arrived), and when walking past I could construct at least three scenarios, one involving a hit-and-run (no other vehicle visible), another involving a loss of control, a third involving impact with a traffic island. 

I've no basis in fact to choose one of them over the other two, or any other possible scenarios. Hence that appeal for witnesses, and now this one. My opinion as not-a-witness is valueless, as is anyone else's not there at the time. The exception is professional 'accident' investigators with years of experience - I once witnessed such an analysis, so I've seen it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service