Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

SOMEONE may have thought they were helping Haringey Council by creating a Twitter account that is an attempt at parody of a noted Council critic, Tottenham's Mr. Martin Ball.

According to this article in the Tottenham & Wood Green Independent, the Council have denied that anyone within the Authority has set up the account and Mr. Ball has said whoever set it up should "get a life".

Mr. Ball is unaligned politically.

It's said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

All that "MoanyMartin_N17" has achieved is to direct more attention to the real Mr. Martin Ball, who tweets under the moniker, @martinballN17.

Under a more generous and enlightened administration, Mr. Ball will be presented with a letter of grateful thanks by the Local Authority for the amount of work he has done in and for the community.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party

Tags for Forum Posts: Martin Ball, Twitter, parody, spoof, troll

Views: 4099

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some of us managed to serve both God and Mammon.

Indeed John, the Hours of Worship of the Golden and Fatted Calves (Organic, Grass-fed, Food Miles Certified) suited more syncretic worshippers like your good self. The Ulster poet, Louis McNeice, thought "Better authentic mammon than a bogus god." Good God! the man had clearly spent his Sundays at more bogus "Farmers' Markets" than authentic Godly Gatherings.

It had been pointed out to me that the Harringay Market was just like Mass but without the sermon.

I always saw HM as a Nomadic Mendicant Good Cause which temporarily displaced Cafe Lemon as Hol's Most Favoured Charity. Could HM's erstwhile most loyal devotees and benefactors please put their heads above the parapet? 

Apologies, Billy. Your comments did not go unnoticed - I was just concentrating on the latest post from Jessica which maybe deserves a direct response.  EF via OAE

And how has setting up a parody account ( I use the term loosely as it rarely soars to the comic heights of OAE) solved the problem? If Martin wields this kind of power in Tottenham, does a snide little Twitter account dethrone this tinpot dictator with his mighty sword FOI who can drive all unbelievers from his fiefdom? Surely it is time for those ground under his heel to rise up with the mighty sword of truth and cut him down?

Or to put it in less flowery terms, deal with him face to face instead of hiding behind the Internet and sticking a tongue out at him. He can take it.

Those enterprises in receipt of thousands of pounds (or in the case of ChickenTown, hundreds of thousands of pounds) will doubtless be appreciative.

While some businesses do need help starting there's a risk of creating dependency. Such businesses that begin with lots of help may not last long (contrast: the world biggest company by market cap began in the late 1970s in the garage of the parents of one of the co-founders.)

We need real jobs and real profits in companies that endure.

LBH largesse at public expense comes at the time of severe cuts to some of the most sensitive front line services, some of which could at least have existed for longer, had funds had been available.

The helping hand to favoured businesses also comes at a time when rubbish collection over the Borough is under much strain: and it's showing. I for one regard effective rubbish collection as basic.

But didn't the money for Chicken Town come from GLA funding specifically for Tottenham regeneration, so it couldn't have been spent on rubbish collection or other day to day tasks? It's quite right to question the effectiveness of the use of this specific funding for purposes such as these but wrong to imply that by doing so Haringey has taken money out of the budget for essential services - that just isn't the case.

What is the councils official code of conduct? it makes it difficult for the council to support anti bullying campaigns in our schools, if an official is seen to be party to such activity online.

The main parties have been in the news at various stages highlighting concern over internal harassment, the 'Old Politricks' seems to be still the modus operandi.

Michael said "But didn't the money for Chicken Town come from GLA funding specifically for Tottenham regeneration, so it couldn't have been spent on rubbish collection or other day to day tasks?"

Well the point is not about money for rubbish collections. Some of the money was to regenerate Tottenham after the riots in 2011. If by regeneration we mean encouraging more expensive restaurants, serving better healthier food to come to Tottenham then I see why they did this. I'm not a supporter of Martin in his campaigns to run these kinds of places out of town because they don't cater to locals, there are plenty of young, middle class "locals" in Tottenham now so it seems appropriate for some of the businesses to cater to their wants and needs. However, what if the guys at Bun & Bar had been offered £300K to setup in Tottenham? I notice they've bought a pub in Wood Street in Walthamstow serving those fabulous burgers. Why ChickenTown? Why all that public money? My other bugbear is why have these senior councillors condoned the not very funny parody account with a follow? Is this how local politics operates in Haringey? It reminds me of the Australian Cricket team, there's a line, and sometimes they might headbutt it... So classy guys.

I was responding to what Clive said

The helping hand to favoured businesses also comes at a time when rubbish collection over the Borough is under much strain: and it's showing. I for one regard effective rubbish collection as basic.

It confuses the Chicken Town issue (which as I also said in my post it is legitimate question) with the running of basic services. The funding for Chicken Town could not be used for basic services. As for the question of the rights or wrongs of funding of Chicken Town; doesn't excite me or enrage me. It just not something I particularly care about and I would imagine that there are quite a few other people who don't give two hoots.

"The [Opportunity Investment] fund is jointly provided by Haringey Council and the GLA."

[here]

The Cabinet Member responsible has referred to this as "the riot money".

There are residents who do care "two hoots" about how public money is spent and sometimes wasted: for example, on the identity rebranding, that is likely to have cost far more than the widely quoted figure of £86,000.

Those residents are likely to include the users of autism and dementia care services.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service