Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi all,

Just flagging that Haringey needs your view on the three trial LTNs in the borough.

Haringey has been lagging behind all of its neighbouring boroughs for many years on streets and public spaces that are safer and healthier for people of all ages.

The first three trial LTNs, with Bruce Grove/West Green being one of the largest LTNs launched in London, were an ambitious first step towards Haringey recognising the impact of rat running and increase in single-occupancy, short journeys by car. The environment, people's health and well being, and communities where these people live have all benefited from these schemes. If we want to see more of it, then there has to be some positive feedback within these consultations.

If you have 5-10 minutes, even if you don't live in these areas, it would be much appreciated to share your views. 20th September is the deadline, links below:

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing. I've responded in support and asked that they do more about the roads having so many potholes! 

They resurfaced Philip Lane a couple of weeks ago, I feel a lot safer cycling there now. Previously the rough surface affected my road positioning as it was smoother nearer the kerb - resulting in some dangerous passes by drivers. 

This is such an important step towards decarbonising our roads. Other boroughs like Islington, Camden and Hackney have made big strides in enabling more short journeys to be safely made by bike or on foot. These areas are so improved and the neighbourhoods are now so much more pleasant without all the cut through traffic! We need more interventions to calm traffic in other areas to meet climate, health and safety goals!

Have responded! We need these schemes to be made permanent so that the council can have the confidence to do more. 

This is the first time since living in London that I’ve been able to take my kids cycling safely without fear of being knocked over, it’s fantastic!

Thanks for sharing this Lee. I’m responding now - the schemes have made such a difference around schools like Chestnuts, and have my support, but the council need to do much more. We need help across the borough to support more people to take public transport, to walk and cycle -  but as you say important first step, let’s not lose this opportunity 

I agree - it's great that our council has finally taken this really positive step to reduce air pollution, encourage active travel, improve road safety and help tackle climate change. I just hope that they get enough support for these schemes that they can be retained, and for other areas in the borough to get similar measures and the associated benefits. I've responded positively.

Thanks for this. It's great that the Council have been brave enough to include such a large part of Tottenham in these LTNs - hopefully they will include the Ladder roads soon too. With less than half of households in the borough having access to a car, it is only fair that residents - and in particular their children - should be able to walk, cycle and get public transport without suffering from the road danger and air pollution caused by traffic ratrunning across the borough. I have responded positively to the survey, and hope that many positive responses will encourage the Council to do more to create safer and healthier roads right across the borough.

Thanks sharing Lee, I’ve just given my support and asked for more help for the ladder

Of course, if you disagree like so many St Anns residents who found their access disrupted and their nearby main roads brought to a standstill and pollution levels there actually increase,  please also respond. Silent and private grumblings have no effect.

Rat-running can be dealt with by narrower measures targeted by road and by size or type of vehicle. There is no proven need for the blanket closures in these LTNs.

The downsides of these blanket measures cannot be reasonably ignored. Aside from Nigel’s comment above, the closures have unfortunately led to serious unintended consequences (widely and extensively discussed elsewhere), including traffic being pushed onto other roads, significantly worsening congestion and increasing pollution in previously unaffected areas. People are now wasting far more time stuck in traffic, daily, with previously short journeys (that cannot be reasonably substituted by public transport or cycling) now taking unnecessarily long. Emergency services, tradespeople, and deliveries are also facing unacceptable delays​ - just to mention a few examples.

I haven’t had that experience Guy.  I’ve have been having daily hospital visits by Uber for the past four weeks to St Bartholomew’s Hospital and back from the Ladder, all at different times of day.  I haven’t found delays any different than I experienced before the LTNs when tracking the cab coming from the Tottenham area, Wood Green or Noel Park to collect me.

Totally agree! 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service