Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Hunts for £2bn Developer to Redevelop Main Council Buildings for Housing

According to architects' journal BD Online, Haringey Council is currently looking for a developer to jointly build 5,000 homes and redevelop more than 20 sites across the borough.

Among the sites up for grabs are the council’s main nine-storey office in Wood Green, where more than 300 people work, as well as Wood Green’s civic centre (pictured above) and library – which "will be moved elsewhere in the borough".

Other land included in the package is the Northumberland Park regeneration area in Tottenham, while it is also looking at bundling up other sites into the work including land behind Muswell Hill library and parts of Broadwater Farm in Tottenham.

It will be interesting to see how much affordable housing is included and what will happen to the facilities due to be "moved elsewhere".

Thanks to Robert Pike for the heads-up on this story.

Tags for Forum Posts: civic centre, haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 3114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a bit more than just a civic centre - it has a bit of history behind it - one of the few truly Modernist buildings of the 1950s with some lovely fixtures inside.

I'm not sure whether the council value the building as much as they should. Somehow I doubt it. They don't seem to have much of an eye for architecture at River Park House.

I've seen a picture of the beautiful Victorian building which previously stood on the site of the current Civic Centre. I'm not sure whether it was on HoL - Hugh?

You mean this one.

It seems like the days of important architecture on this spot may be about to end.

Yes, what a beautiful building - I knew you would have it. What a shame it's no longer there.

The last I heard a little while back was the plan to move civic services to Woodside House in Woodside Park, just down the road.

Woodside House, Woodside Park, London N22

Probably still on the cards I'd guess. Here's a little history on the place put together by the council ... In 1892 it housed the area’s first public library, and in 1913 a single storey extension was added to house a new council chamber for Wood Green Urban District Council.The building also housed the local police courts. The cells are now a kitchen.

Eight years ago, Matt.

The report about it was brimming over with the usual bullshit bingo.
It was to be a "sustainable civic building".  Helping to reach: "the council's carbon reduction targets".  While also having: "a new state-of-the-art council chamber and meetings suite, open and fully accessible to local people for meetings of all kinds".

Great stuff. 

The panic grabbing at any space that can be built on is stopping the Kabal and their advisors from seeing any value in what they want to knock down.  Not just eg the classic example of Wards Corner, but look at the plans they have just passed for Bruce Grove Station. OK it is now very shabby indeed and has a long history of random street stalls, but this plan for 'regen' and dozens of flats completely (except a bit peering over the top) obscures the GER arches above. At my first glimpse of the plan I thought it was a picture of the huge ugly Tescos at Seven Sisters, one of the horriblest buildings known to womankind.

Yes this one (Bruce Grove Stn new proposal) looks like the horrendously ugly Tesco in Tottenham High Rd mentioned here.
What's going on with this quick/easy attitude to design & architecture/heritage/conservation in Haringey? Is it another one with 'Paul Simon' stamped to its side.,!?
It's hideous. Those silly partial shutters at the top look like it's too ashamed to show its face. Either do something interesting or just a glazed box so you can see through.
This building is beautiful in many ways - inside and out - considering its heritage and architectural place.
We need to protect these buildings and community assets for future generations!

Yes where will people get married? I had my wedding there and it was very pleasant. My friend even managed to take some beautiful photos in the small back garden which was full of Spring blossom that week.

There are many churches, Maddy, which would be happy to do the job. You can even see one in the main picture

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service